• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60:Semi Float, 5on5.5, disk brakes

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure yet what housing to start off with but I want to end up about 65" WMS. Haven't done much research into that yet as I can problaby get my buddy to narrow anything so i'm not real concerned. If anyone wants to chime in with a suggestion that'd be great. Then get custom 35 spline shafts with 5 on 5.5. I wanna use the Explorer disk brake setup that I already have, like Dynatrac and others do. Is this a bolt on brake setup? Any other problems I'd run into?

Well the D60 in the back of my XJ is a full floater 8bolt and is 65"WMS, its from a mid '80s Dodge 3/4ton. So you could probably use that for a housing but everything else would be custom.

Personally I don't get why you would want a semi-floating D60. The full floating axles are the best part of the D60. If you want a 5on5 bolt pattern use a Ford 9". It will be way cheaper than converting a D60. About the only benifit to a semi-floating D60 over a Ford 9" would be stronger gears. But I think you'd have a hard time breaking a Ford 9" with the 4.0l.

just a thought right now. i've got a 9" housing in the garage waiting for me to build into a 35spl.

Shame you're so far away. We have a semi-float 60 sitting here. Right about 65" WMS-WMS. No brakes on it.

It'd be very easy just to have the shafts redrilled for the BP you want instead of having to buy new ones (I priced it at $50 total). Then get your brake parts and some weld on caliper brackets and you're done.

IIRC, a lot of '80s Ambulances ran that setup.
You can't beat the narrowish width.
You might check any fleet type graveyards, locally.

You can have fun with swapping front 5 on 5.5" full float parts onto the rear and getting custom shafts. The early '70s Jeep J4000s had semifloat rears. Many were D60 but not all.

cLAYH said:
If you want a 5on5 bolt pattern use a Ford 9". It will be way cheaper than converting a D60. About the only benifit to a semi-floating D60 over a Ford 9" would be stronger gears. But I think you'd have a hard time breaking a Ford 9" with the 4.0l.

That is just absolute nonsense.

You have to narrow both axles, so the labor and Set 20 bearing cup costs are the same. Unless you want to run a crap, small bearing 9" from one of those ginormous 70's cars.

To run 35 spline shafts in the Ford, you must use a large bore case, a $329 expense that is not necessary with the D-60, as you just need to buy a 35 spline carrier and slip it in. Not to mention the upgraded pinion support necessary to run any sort of power through a 9".

CRASH

CRASH said:
That is just absolute nonsense.

You have to narrow both axles, so the labor and Set 20 bearing cup costs are the same. Unless you want to run a crap, small bearing 9" from one of those ginormous 70's cars.

CRASH

Cannt you get a Ford 9" with a 65" WMS? Buddy of mine was running one in his XJ and I'm pretty sure that it had a narrower track width than mine.

CRASH said:
To run 35 spline shafts in the Ford, you must use a large bore case, a $329 expense that is not necessary with the D-60, as you just need to buy a 35 spline carrier and slip it in. Not to mention the upgraded pinion support necessary to run any sort of power through a 9".

CRASH

If you run enough power to justify going to 35spl on a Ford 9" then yes you are probably better off going to a D60, but as I said a stock 9" should be plenty strong for a stock 4.0.

My point is that if you want a 5on5 pattern with a 65" WMS it would be cheaper to go with a Ford 9" Would it be as strong as a converted D60, no, but most people don't need the beef of a D60.

I run a rear D60 in mine, simply cause I had it, it fit, and it was cheap. Would I convert it to disc, yes, to a 5on5 pattern, no.

The starter of this thread clearly states he wants 35 spline shafts. So, the stock housing/carrier route are out.

Well, on second thought, you MIGHT be able to find a 65" HD housing with big bearing ends, but they are rare. The car housings and the F-100 housings are thin pieces of junk. The best housings came in the late 70's and early 80's trucks and Broncos.

CRASH said:
The starter of this thread clearly states he wants 35 spline shafts. So, the stock housing/carrier route are out.

Well, on second thought, you MIGHT be able to find a 65" HD housing with big bearing ends, but they are rare. The car housings and the F-100 housings are thin pieces of junk. The best housings came in the late 70's and early 80's trucks and Broncos.

I'll probably just end up going with the 9". I've got a housing that'll end up with the width I want. I dont see me running anything more than a mild stroked 4L, 38's at a max, and no heavy rocks. Just trying to explore all my options.

Back