• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All D30 hubs not created equal!

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Arghhhhhh. A few months back, got a nice deal on D30 axles, w/297 U-joints. OK... perused eBay and found a great deal on some D30 hubs pulled off of a 01 Wrangler removed at the dealer. (new no miles) I'm cooking with oil right...

NOT.

Everything LOOKS OK after installing my nice new axles with the new hubs, even put in new fully loaded cals so all is nice. Fire up my buggy, and, she no wanna move. Front wheels totally seezed up. WTF!!!

Turns out the mating surface of the new hubs is 5/8" closer to the knuckle than the "right ones." Should have looked much closer, something seemed not right, the wheel studs were "longer."

Oh well, I could throw in a 5/8" spacer between the hub and the rotor. Nahhhh. I wonder if I could use a Wrangler rotor now. Hmmmmm, possible???

If no easy solution, looks like I have a pair of new 01 Wrangler hubs for sale!:confused1

In 01 you had the option of full cast rotors on the Wrangler. My guess is that you got the hubs for the full cast ones which are thicker. If you get full cast rotors for a Wrangler they should work. Believe it or not I saw this at work about a month ago. A guy put non cast rotors on his cast rotor hubs and his wrangler wouldn't move.

Had this same issue when I changed my hub assemblies a month ago... I told the auto parts store which rotors I had, full cast obviously on a 99, and they gave me hub assemblies for composite. We ripped the axle apart thinking the auto parts store would be competent enough to match a number on the computer with what they gave me on the box, only to find out that once we got both sides down and started to back out and play... no movie jeepie... ripped it all back apart and tore into that autoparts store... I was pissed to say the least.

So help me out. I have a 2000 D30 LP. There was a 98 in the junk yard. My rotors are shot, and the 98 ones were like brand new. I don't know the difference between composite and cast rotors. Grabed the unit bearing just to have a spare. How do I tell if my stuff is compatible? Was going to use the rotors this weekend when I regear my front. I thought everything was the same on D30s. Thanks

Sorry I don't know when they changed but I've seen 3 different depths of the shoulder where the hub mates to the knuckle and unless you're looking specifically for that measurement it's not obvious until you're looking for the cause of that horrible screaching noise.

Rocketman said:
If no easy solution, looks like I have a pair of new 01 Wrangler hubs for sale!:confused1
PM me if you want to get rid of those!:)

Can you at least run different rotors? Do you have to use composite if that's what you have, or can you use cast. Do they interchange is what I'm asking, and it's the hub that makes the difference? Thanks

As stated earlier,there are at least 3 different hub/rotor combonations.They do have to be matched/mated with the same model/type.

CMNCHE said:
No matter the year if it has ABS it should have composite rotors and if it doesn't it should have full cast.

That sucks. Didn't even think about it. I have ABS, took rotors of non ABS 98. Well this is a timely thread. I was going to swap and they didn't look alike. Will be rebuilding my front axle this weekend. I probably wasted $20. Will take a closer look when I work on it before I install them. Thanks for your help guys.

Composite rotors will have a thin sheetmetal like appearence at the mounting flange where the studs come through.

Cast rotors are thick at the mounting flange..(about 1/2 to 5/8") thick

I have '93 ZJ knuckles, hubs and brakes to put on my '87 Comanche (so I can upgrade my front brakes with crossdrilled ones later)

Digger87xj said:
Composite rotors will have a thin sheetmetal like appearence at the mounting flange where the studs come through.

Cast rotors are thick at the mounting flange..(about 1/2 to 5/8") thick
SPOBI

The change was in 99. So in 99 you could have either. The easiest way to tell is the later ones have 8 mm longer studs and the centre wheel support ( blue lines ) is 19 mm high verses 12 mm high on the earlier models. If you put the hubs side by side you will see the the later model hubs sit 5 mm closer to the hub mounting flange than the early ones also. See my site on how to fit the unit bearing for more information but here is a photo that shows it anyway.

Hub11.jpg

Gojeep said:
The change was in 99. So in 99 you could have either. The easiest way to tell is the later ones have 8 mm longer studs and the centre wheel support ( blue lines ) is 19 mm high verses 12 mm high on the earlier models. If you put the hubs side by side you will see the the later model hubs sit 5 mm closer to the hub mounting flange than the early ones also. See my site on how to fit the unit bearing for more information but here is a photo that shows it anyway.

Hub11.jpg

yeah I have a 99... we'll just say I tried both... As long as you match the rotors with the write unit bearings, you shouldn't have trouble... meaning if you have cast now and want composite... get both composite rotors and composite unit bearings.

EXPERIMENT WORKED... My 01 TJ hubs which caused the no moovy of my Jeepy issue works great after going to 01 XJ CAST rotors. They are not only shorter 3 1/16 vs 3 3/16 BUT are thicker at the mating surface. PLUS, is it me or are cast rotors way nicer than composite.

They just opened a new Advanced Auto a couple blocks from the house. Picked up a Wearever cast rotor to check my theory and voila', success.

$38 bucks a side and I'm all warm and fuzzy again!

AND Eagle, as always, you are the definitive source for all things XJ!!!

Back