• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy sheet metal?

Ace Hardware has 22 Gauge Sheets, its seem on the thick side for 22 Ga. (Gauge is rating for lbs/sq ft, not thickness, so the actual thickness varies and varies greatly for different types of materials). It seems at least as thick as the floorpan if not thicker.

They don't have 20 or 18 Gauge, the 16 Gauge seems to thick to work with, using just hand tools.

langer1 said:
Heres the closest one 898 Crane Avenue - PITTSFIELD, MA 01201-1725

Pittsfield is about as far from Boston as any place in Massachusetts can get, but I'd be surprised if there isn't some kind of metal supplier in the Boston area. It might be worth looking through the yellow pages, including scrap metal. You probably won't be able to use pieces bigger than a couple of feet square anyway, because of curves, frame members, etc. in the way. Any used metal that isn't enameled (skip the washing machines, in other words) should do for screwing. Avoid galvanized if you weld (zinc fumes make you :puke:), but it's fine if you screw or rivet. Shower stalls are my favorite, with furnace jackets a close second. Water heater jackets are not bad either. I'm guessing that for new steel an industrial supplier would probably be cheaper than home depot, which deals only in little consumer-sized lots, and some places might be able to provide scraps that are large enough for much of what you need.

Ok
Boss-Tin
(617) 568-9700 256 Marginal St
East Boston, MA

Bulldog Sheet Metal Co
(617) 661-2855 77 Hurley St
Cambridge, MA

Scott Sheet Metal Co Inc
(617) 269-7687 103 W 1st St
South Boston, MA

Shop Inc
(617) 269-3135 160 W Broadway
South Boston, MA

Stainless Co
(617) 442-7923 383 Dorchester Ave # A
South Boston, MA

again, this site is the BALLS! thanks a million you guys - i'm contacting those places this week.

hub assemblies on wednesday in the front ( i know, they'll fall right off, and the three bolts will come out like their coated in butter ).

exhaust system complete when my tax return comes in, THEN, when i get inspired, i plan on breaking all of the bolts that hold in the seats, pulling up the carpet, and CRYING MY FRIGGIN EYES OUT when i see the floor.

all in the name of love for my XJ.

Floor pan repair? <grin>

If'n you'd have been searching for that.... you'd have found a link to http://www.shermanparts.com which has replacement floor pans already stamped.

pre fab floor pans ??
too easy!!!!
just hammered out bolth passanger and drivers pans on my cherokee mabee 3 weeks back.
came out sweet
but took about 13 hours with cutting out rust, grinding, posterboard templates, tracing and cutting steel, drilling for spot welds and deburring, welding, bending, welding, bending, and welding some more, seam sealing, priming, painting...

Look up and contact the metals suppliers in your area. Here theres one that sells all sorts of stuff and lets you buy the remnant cut pieces at a discounted price. Do the floor asap, its not hard to take out (of course I cut mine in pieces), I was shocked at the rust and I live in CA.

Last edited:
Back