• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new valve cover gasket new rough idle

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
so last night i decided to replace my valve cover gasket on my '95 with roughly 113000 miles on it (did the gauge swap just a guestimate) do to a nasty oil leak. pulled her off, cleaned her up put the new gasket on tightened to 55 in lbs fired it up and it runs (if thats what you want to call it) horrible i can barely keep it running for more than a minute. when i pulled the cover i unplugged all the injectors and connections to the tb in order to move the wiring between the fuel rail and the valve cover, so i could fit my bear claw like hands in there. but i'm positive everything is plugged back into its proper plug and i have broken no vaccum lines. please help this is my dd

just went out and started it again and brought the rpms up to about two two and a half and then let back down to idle and it started idling better but not 100% yet but i did notice when i was reving it the first few seconds or so i noticed and smelled exhaust from under the hood with a hint of unburned fuel, now i know my header is cracked but i've never noticed exhaust from under the hood before. now i'm starting to wonder if this is one of those coincidences where you fix something and something else breaks or gets worse.

but is there a posibility that the crack some how got bigger and is now allowing excess air in the exhaust and then running past the o2 sensor and telling the computer that its running lean so then it throws more gas into the a/f mix?

Did you replace the fuel injector and regulator o-rings when you re-installed the injectors? If not, check for leaks as they're not re-usable.

I'd suspect that you knocked the vacuum line to the Map sensor off.
Or that you got the injector wiring wrong and the injectors are firing out of sequence.
You may also want to check the connections to the TPS, since you say you removed it, posibly abent pin or something in there not making contact, happend with my CPS connector once.

I got it!

when i put the valve cover on i recall bumping the map sensor but i didn't think i hit it very hard, but while reasearching the map sensor brought up a few questions so i decided to go get it tested before dropping $50 on a new one. but it just so turns out a buddy of mine replaced his on a 94 z28 and i noticed mine was a gm part we put the old one off the z28 and fired it up and ran like a champ. so i ran down to advance picked one up and no problems since.

thanks for the advice any way

Back