• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar removal

chopperdog

NAXJA Forum User
Please someone help me.
I just installed a R.E. 3.5 inch lift. I also got the adjustable T.B. I can not seem to get the stock tracbar off at the upper ball joint mount. I have heated it up with a torch and destroyed a pickle fork beating on it. It has not even budged. I sprayed it with PB blaster 4 times before starting. Yes I also removed the castle nut on top. NOw that the lift is on, the mount seems really loose and sloppy, probably from beating the crap out of it.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

I did do a search for this but did not really find anything that helped.

chopperdog said:
Please someone help me.
I just installed a R.E. 3.5 inch lift. I also got the adjustable T.B. I can not seem to get the stock tracbar off at the upper ball joint mount. I have heated it up with a torch and destroyed a pickle fork beating on it. It has not even budged. I sprayed it with PB blaster 4 times before starting. Yes I also removed the castle nut on top. NOw that the lift is on, the mount seems really loose and sloppy, probably from beating the crap out of it.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

I did do a search for this but did not really find anything that helped.

I don't know what you can do that you haven't done already- I did my track bar and pitman-arm tie rod end yesterday and it only took a few minutes each. I had been hitting them with PB before driving to work all week and the combination of road vibration and dripping with PB made them drop apart. I'd keep hitting them with the PB, get it really soaked then take a drive.

Good luck!

take off the whole mount. inspect for wallowed out bolt holes and beat out the old one

I will spray more PB on it, how safe is it to drive when sloppy?
Also it looks like the mount is part of the engine mount, does it all need to be removed? Or are they really seperate?
Thanks for the replies.

Take it off and beat the hell out of it!

Did mine a couple months ago...the track bar bolt rotated around so I had no choice but to take the braket off and cut off the bolt. Was a real pain in the butt!

I built a small screw jack out of a bolt and rod coupling,then tightened it up between the joint end and the bottom of the motor mount.Next hit on the side of the TRE sent it flying.

If you're going to take the mount off, try putting it in a press to pop the track bar out instead of using a BFH.

Give up, get a beer.
Come back slightly intoxicated.
try heating it up again, but go a little heavy on the torch and "accidentially" cut the whole thing off.
Then build a custom mount for the new one because the RE setup sucks anyway...

Sure fire remedy, worked for me...

muduck18 said:
Give up, get a beer.
Come back slightly intoxicated.

Sure fire remedy, worked for me...

I agree. Mine gave me fits also so I gave up, had a beer and came right back. What do you know, the darn thing popped right out with barely a whack of the hammer. Karma I guess.....

Thanks everyone for the help, I loosened the nut, tomorrow I will go for a drive with it like that, maybe that will work. Then Im going to put the torch on it and try again. Last ditch effort will be to remove the entire mount. By then I will probably have had several beers so we will see how it goes. I will let you guys know. Thanks again.

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS I got it. Took alot of heat and it poped right off after driving with it unbolted. Thanks everyone for the help.

chopperdog said:
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS I got it. Took alot of heat and it poped right off after driving with it unbolted. Thanks everyone for the help.

Heat? No, it was the beer....

Back