• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gibson Header 409S (beyond cracked)

xj4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I know there are other folks that have mentioned their Gibson 409s header cracking, but mine flat out blew a hole in the middle of the main collector.

GibsonHeader.jpg

I'll be contacted Gibson to see if they stand behind their lifetime warrentee on their stainless products.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Borla 304s I replaced the Gibson with.

Kent :)

Holy WTF?! Where do you live where your header looks like that? At the rate mine is going, it'd be 20 years before it looked like that...maybe.

I have no doubt Gibson will take care of you...

ECKSJAY said:
Holy WTF?! Where do you live where your header looks like that? At the rate mine is going, it'd be 20 years before it looked like that...maybe.

I have no doubt Gibson will take care of you...

Would have to agree, that sucker is worked.

They should stand behind their product. Might be helpful to have the reciept.

Rob

I was never happy with the headers. I'm pretty sure they initially cracked within the first two months of use. It was also heavily rusting by then as well. I've heard of several others who have had similar problems with Gibson products :shocked:.

To be fair, I know there are folks that love them as well.

While it's a different topic, I haven't been happy with the Gibson 409s cat back either. It's had problems as well. I'll be replacing it soon as well :eek: .

Kent

Opps, forgot to mention, these pipes were about 18 months old.

Kent

Can honestly say that's the first Gibson stainless I've seen do that. Have seen many of the mild steel ones go... Hell, even my cat-back is aluminized and it's purring along fine after 7 years.

So, where do you live? I'm guessing salt belt somewhere...

Live in the northeast and nope it was really shiny (as in chrome etc).

It had the stainless burnished look. It looked exactly like my 409s Gibson cat backs I bought. I'll reframe from commenting on this item as this is specific to Gibson's 409s headers.

Kent :)

409 Stainless will rust and quickly turn brown. It is still a ferrous material, proven by the fact that it is magnetic (and rusts). It should last at least 15 years however. I've never seen 409 with flakes or holes in it...

Markos said it perfectly :).

There are many types of stainless and some types (409 is one of them) is ferrous and quickly rusts. But the rust generally is surface rust taking much longer to penetrate deeply.

Kent

Back