• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever put a V8 in a XJ?

kleake

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever put a V8 in an XJ? We are looking at the possibilty of creating a trail rig that can tow a decent camping trailer around the country and want something with more torque and power than the 4.0... We know the inline 6 is great for low end torque, and can be built very nice, but the price starts adding up pretty quick. A v8 would be dependable, parts easily available, and would have the power and torque to pull the trailer... Also,,,, does anyone know the physical dimensions of say a chevy 350 compared to a Ford 302? Just curious as we are thinking chevy, but the Ford may be an easier fit.... Opinions??? Thanks in advance!!
:repair:

You might want to check out Yahoo! Groups - there's a group there dedicated to the V8 XJ conversion.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v8cherokeexjowners2/

I'm quite sure it's doable, Advance Adapters also makes a bolt-in cradle mount for the SBChevvy into an XJ/MJ.

Given a choice, I'd probably want to stick in a 327 Chevvy or 289 Ford - both are engines that offer a great deal of potential in the torque department. I BBCHevvy or BB Ford would offer more, but have issues being fit (although I think a 454 into an XJ might have been done...)

Bear in mind that torque will be what you're essentially after - this is, after all, a truck. Torque is what will get you and your tow-load moving, and what will pick it up when you need to boost speed just a bit, or climb a hill.

Think gearing as well. If you're going to tow fairly often, 4.10's would not be a bad idea (axle gearing multiplies torque - so you'll put more torque on the ground with 4.10's than you will with 3.55's, all else being equal.)

5-90

a guy running around town here used a v8 from a grand cherokee, no info to add...

can be done / has been done ! first thing you may want to consider is inspection,emissions issues. here in the great state of Pa. we have to pass a emissions test every year if you put over 5000 miles on your ride. bottom line:a XJ w/ V8 power is not going to spit out the numbers the computer wants to see on the emissions test.know someone w/ a TJ for sale because it will not pass the test (350 bowtie).if this is not a issue for you go for it man!Hell stick a HEMI in the thing.

Hemi would be cool!!!,, but $$$$ say it probably won't happen... ;-) We don't have to worry about inspection here in OK any more, so that shouldn't be a problem... Hadn't really thought about the grand V8,,, that might be an easier swap.... I would have to look into how much upgrade parts are available and the prices.... The idea here is to build a stronger than stock V8 while maintaining drivability, and reliability..... I'm going to check out that Yahoo Group,,, thanks for that info!!!

Thanks for the info guys.... Anyone have any pics to see how tight of a fit it was, or anything I should lookout for during the swap?

there's a guy arround here with a Mopar 360 in an XJ and he's also got one with a WJ 4.7L drive-train, the front ends on both Jeeps sag like...

Next time I run into him I'll get his email for ya

Go SBC. Cheap, reliable, easy to find parts, ect. The Chevy would be an easier fit, since AA sells a kit to bolt in in.

Use a 700R4, an NP231C from an S10, as the drivetrain, and call it good. AA sells a kit to mate a SBC to an AX15, if you have a stick.

Custom driveshafts are in order and such, new exhaust, the list goes on...

Autozone has the Kit. Maybe you could use the SEARCH button to find the kit.

this thread has me goin'. been thinking about how cool a V8 XJ would be. i really like the 4.0L though. my work truck has a chevy 5.3L and it's got a nice torque curve and is decent on fuel. i can't tell you dimensions, but it sure looks like it would be an easy fit. a 5 speed is great for towing too, sucks for drinking coffee, but i like the control of shifting gears. hmmm, a 360 out of a dodge ram with the NV4500 behind it...............

I have always thought an interesting way to go would be an AMC 360 or 401 with the AW4. Install a throttle body FI kit on it and you should be able to wire in the TCU with some careful planning. Also, run Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake to keep the weight down. I know this combo wouldn't be for everyone, but that's the route I'd be most interested in taking.

www.summitracing.com has this engine, DCC-4510852, at a good price. good torque even though peak is high. the dodge 360 truck motors made very good torque down low for their displacement. i'd thought a chevy V8 would be a good swap, but everyone and their cousin has done one and most of em are looking at horsepower numbers, not torque. i'd bet one set up right with a 5 speed would deliver some reasonable mileage too.

If I was doing it I would go with a SBC with a EFI kit and a 700R4 would probably be stout enough to tow anything one ought dare put behind an XJ. OTOH if you want a trail rig and aren't too concerned about mileage a TH400 would be nice and simple to deal with - a WOT switch and a shifter.

But the idea could be cussed and discussed for weeks. I have a nice carbed 454/TH400 attached to an unwanted Suburban and I'm sort of looking for a project for it. An XJ is surely doable but it doesn't seem right.

Just out of curiosity, how heavy is this trailer you're planning on pulling? I would think that with the frame would need some reinforcement if you're planning on pulling anything heavier than 5,000lbs. My understanding is that a major limitation to towing is the unibody.

Back