• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory oil pan quiestion

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone taken off there oil pan for the first time from the factory? I just spent 4 hours taking mines off. Apparently it was glued (RTV) on. My family has owned it since new, and I don't have any record of the pan being off before. Man it was frustrating!

Sounds about right. I've done a few from the factory, and they don't seem to like using gaskets (probably cost too much over the production life of the engine. Accountants should not be involved in engineering decisions...)

I find having a wide selection of hammers helps - wood, rubber, rawhide, brass, lead, and various steel hammers all get used.

5-90

A good razor knife helps alot too as well as one of those curved electricians or carpet knives...

mine had a gasket (was a 91). But it was soo dried up that it was like cement. took two pry bars.

imma honky said:
mine had a gasket (was a 91). But it was soo dried up that it was like cement. took two pry bars.

Doh, I just figured out that mines was like this too. I guess the RTV was only in the corners. Man, I didn't think a paper gasket could fuse onto the metal like that!

Back