• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft BB's, for tire balance, REPORT

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
Well it's done. Went to Wal Mart and picke up the biggest box of airsoft BB's they had. They are transparent green and .12 grams each. This morning I stopped by my buddies store and used his meat scale to weigh out 10oz. for each wheel. Then I took them to another freinds commercial tire shop and put them in the tires before mounting.

Results, drives fine up to about 70-75mph. The tires are some old SS Tsl radials I have had sitting around for years. They are 33X10.50 R 15's mounted on stock Jeep alumium wheels. As for noise, you can't hear the BB's at all.

Also, tried the spin balancer for fun. Funny how that went! You could hear the BB's bouncing around when the tire started to spin and about the time the machine quit you could hear the BB's starting to go to the imbalance. It was very strange just as the BB's went into place the machine had completed the test. The machine indicated 4.50 oz weight needed on each side of the tire with the BB's in the tire.

I am going to try this airsoft thing in the next couple days. When you say it was good up to about 75mph does that mean it had a vibration above 75 or was that the highest speed you tested them at. I am doing this for 32x11.50's and I think I will put 8oz in each tire.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
I am going to try this airsoft thing in the next couple days. When you say it was good up to about 75mph does that mean it had a vibration above 75 or was that the highest speed you tested them at. I am doing this for 32x11.50's and I think I will put 8oz in each tire.

Sorry that I did not explain that better. I had vibs above that. I just put the lift and tires on and have a lot of thing to do still. It needs an alignment and other stuff. Some of which might contribute to the vibs. Also my speed isn't calibrated for the 33's yet so I was probably going 75-80 mph, my speedo has always been optimistic with the stock tires. So I'm guessing it's not to far off now that and judging by the traffic around me.

I think the BB's are doing a good job.

ClassicXJ said:
This might be worth looking into. I can't keep my MTR's balanced for more than 1 week.

sounds like you are throwing weights maybe

tompatjr said:
Well it's done. Went to Wal Mart and picke up the biggest box of airsoft BB's they had. They are transparent green and .12 grams each. This morning I stopped by my buddies store and used his meat scale to weigh out 10oz. for each wheel. Then I took them to another freinds commercial tire shop and put them in the tires before mounting.

Results, drives fine up to about 70-75mph. The tires are some old SS Tsl radials I have had sitting around for years. They are 33X10.50 R 15's mounted on stock Jeep alumium wheels. As for noise, you can't hear the BB's at all.

Also, tried the spin balancer for fun. Funny how that went! You could hear the BB's bouncing around when the tire started to spin and about the time the machine quit you could hear the BB's starting to go to the imbalance. It was very strange just as the BB's went into place the machine had completed the test. The machine indicated 4.50 oz weight needed on each side of the tire with the BB's in the tire.

Dynamic balancers only spin it so fast and for so long....i believe dynabeads dont really start to take effect till after around 30 MPH or so.

Jeffro600 said:
Dynamic balancers only spin it so fast and for so long....i believe dynabeads dont really start to take effect till after around 30 MPH or so.

correct... airsofts would work the same, but you wouldn't get vibes until then anyway so it works out great... This is next project for me... gettin rid of those weights.

Has anyone ever mentioned whether they thought the .12g or the .20g ones work better. I read on the dynabeads website that the heavier each bead is the better they work. So that lead me to purchase the .20g ones. I got 5000 of them at Kmart for 15 dollars. That works out to 35 ounces. If I do the spare too it'll be 7oz per tire. hopefully thats enough.

i used .12 green ones from wal mart and it works good till about 65-70 in my 34" ltbs. my wheels arent exactly round either and a little more than the 8oz might would help out more.

I used Air Soft in my 32x11.50 MTRs and they were still giving me problems (about 8oz each tire) and did not like the out come. If I were to try it again I would try the heavier ones and with a new set of tires.

I've got a set of Centramatic balancers on my Rubicon and they have helped out tremendously. Stock 245/75R16 MT/R's have 31,000 on them now and are still wearing evenly. They have about 40-50% tread left too.

I've run the balancers on my 1996 XJ with 32's and they seemed to help it as well.

They are more expensive, but less of a hassle in my opinion.

redbeard said:
I've got a set of Centramatic balancers on my Rubicon and they have helped out tremendously. Stock 245/75R16 MT/R's have 31,000 on them now and are still wearing evenly. They have about 40-50% tread left too.

I've run the balancers on my 1996 XJ with 32's and they seemed to help it as well.

They are more expensive, but less of a hassle in my opinion.

What is that and how pricey?

Thanks,
Ken

they are the things that kinda look like a frisbee in between your hub and wheel. They have a ring around the edge that has some sort of beads or something that do the same thing as air softs would... they are about 120 a pair

LilRedRover said:
they are the things that kinda look like a frisbee in between your hub and wheel. They have a ring around the edge that has some sort of beads or something that do the same thing as air softs would... they are about 120 a pair
Oh ok got ya. Never seen nor heard of those.

Thanks,
Ken

ClassicXJ said:
This might be worth looking into. I can't keep my MTR's balanced for more than 1 week.

And you wont either.. Mine are horrible.. BTW Dynobalance cermamic beads wont work on MTRs because there to small and get trapped in the inner groves making it worse.. Ive tried it.. The airsoft may be better because there bigger... MTRs have a lateral Imbalance so they still may not work

i've ben running the Airsoft in my 33x13.50 LTBs this week. i think i have 10 or 12 oz in each tire. not sure what weight they are but they are the beige pellets. being used bias-ply swampers, they have their inherent "sqaure tire" feel for the begining of any ride but once they beat themselves round they are decent and good for about 65 mph on the highway. above 65 i get a heavy vibration that pretty steadily comes and goes.. i'm thinkin its the harmonics of the tires and likely wouldnt be able to balance out that much vibration. but below 65 its a pretty nice ride.

I just put 9 oz of .12g Airsoft BB's in my set of Iroks on Saturday. My XJ is still in pieces so I can't say if it works yet, but we did the same on my Cousin's YJ and his Iroks so I will report back after the first road test.

I can hit 85 on my 315/75/16 MT/R's with no vibes at all, 9oz of yellow .12 pellets per tire. The tires are newish with even wear and tread.

It might be important to include what kind of wheels you are running. It's been my recent experiance that alot of the rock crawler/pacer steelies out there arent round anymore, and some of them werent very round to begin with. :)

Back