• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch fan problem?

O

OB1KNOB

Hi all, quick question. The other day I noticed my engine to be making a lot more "roaring" as I accelerate, looking under the hood my best guess is that it's the clutch fan. With the engine off and warm I can barely turn the blades, is this good? After reading through this forum I was trying to learn about the viscous clutch and wondering if that might be the source of the problem. My vehicle is a well maintained 99 XJ, 4.0L I6. I recently drove from Alaska to Florida (long way) pulling a 3K LB trailer with no problems. My temp doesnt seems to be changing and when I hear this roar as I accelerate, I don't notice anything unusual about the rest of the engine. Since this noise the other day however, I have been hearing other squeeks and assorted noises coming from that area. Any idea?

With the engine and clutch warmed up, the fan should be almost locked up, to pull air and cool better. When cold, it should slip a lot - you don't need the cooling yet.

As spring comes on, ambient temperature changes will kick in the clutch sooner as it heats up. You might check the bearing it rides on to see if there is any play causing vibration. At least its not on the water pump. You can use a mechanics stethoscope or screwdriver to isolate the noise source while the engine is running - be careful - nobody likes a screwdriver handle jammed in their ear listening to stuff.

Back