• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Dana 44 question

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about replacing my D35 with a D44 and I wouls like to keep my ABS.
Anybody done that?
Main concern the tone ring.
Is it possible to use the XJ or ZJ tone rings on the D44?

why keep the ABS?

Will getting rid of the ABS mess anything else up? I am about to go through the same thing and would rather just loose it.

Stouttrout said:
Will getting rid of the ABS mess anything else up? I am about to go through the same thing and would rather just loose it.

Why get rid of it?
I believe that at the very least in one case I would have gotten in trouble if I didn't have it. Avoiding one accident is enough to make it worth while.
There must be a reason why practically all cars and with no exceptions all large aircraft (anti-skid) use it.

Stouttrout said:

speaking from my personal expierence -
I installed a Ford 9 rear with out ABS into my 92 ABS cherokee -
the ABS light came on, everything has functioned well to date...

just my ABS light is on... There are a few people who have eliminated teh ABS completely... however, I havent, and have no issues to report...

XJ_ranger said:
speaking from my personal expierence -
I installed a Ford 9 rear with out ABS into my 92 ABS cherokee -
the ABS light came on, everything has functioned well to date...

just my ABS light is on... There are a few people who have eliminated teh ABS completely... however, I havent, and have no issues to report...

Everybody has his opinion about ABS. Whatever they decide is fine with me.
At the same time I would like to keep my ABS if I replace my rear axle.
I am pretty sure I can attach the sensor, I am not sure about the tone ring.
I thought it might be made to fit with some machining, but without having a shaft or the rest of the parts in front of me, I'd rather rely on somebody else's experience.
I know people who even disable their ebrakes for whatever reason, I don't do this short of thing. I like to improve what I have, not just throw things away.

you must be a rich boy. just call dynatrac and get a custom built axle with ABS for 5 grand.

i got a XJ axle for 250, spent 400 for gears and locker, 100 for a brake rebuild. + pulled the ABS system relay. as others my ABS light is on, but i can't tell i dont have it anymore. Plus most 97+ XJ's didnt even have ABS out of the factory

falcon556 said:
Everybody has his opinion about ABS. Whatever they decide is fine with me.
At the same time I would like to keep my ABS if I replace my rear axle.
I am pretty sure I can attach the sensor, I am not sure about the tone ring.
I thought it might be made to fit with some machining, but without having a shaft or the rest of the parts in front of me, I'd rather rely on somebody else's experience.
I know people who even disable their ebrakes for whatever reason, I don't do this short of thing. I like to improve what I have, not just throw things away.

I totaly agree!

the reason i removed mine was 2 fold -
1. after swaping axles i didnt want to have to figure out how to deal with it
2. the ABS electrical lines were too short with a 6.5" lift - so i had to either re-wire them or remove them... I had 3 days before i had to have the heep together and drive 1600 miles - so the wires got "removed"

i do recall someone doing this with an 8.8 - are you set on using an XJ44? or are there other options for you?

Search ABS removal or tone rings. There is nobody I know of that has ever transfered ABS to another axle. I really wanted to keep mine, but it will be "completely removed" Thursday when my 44 goes in. A long time ago I read a write up on the web about keeping ABS with a 8.8. For the life of me I have never been able to find it again. What I do remember is that the guy said that while he accomplished it, it was such a PITA that he would never do it again. I looked for a way, but finally I surrendered. I live in snow and would love to keep my ABS for my DD. However, we did get along for a 100 years without it. People actualy used to know how to modulate their brakes. Can you imagine!

Dirt Surfer said:
Search ABS removal or tone rings. There is nobody I know of that has ever transfered ABS to another axle. I really wanted to keep mine, but it will be "completely removed" Thursday when my 44 goes in. A long time ago I read a write up on the web about keeping ABS with a 8.8. For the life of me I have never been able to find it again. What I do remember is that the guy said that while he accomplished it, it was such a PITA that he would never do it again. I looked for a way, but finally I surrendered. I live in snow and would love to keep my ABS for my DD. However, we did get along for a 100 years without it. People actualy used to know how to modulate their brakes. Can you imagine!
Last year I converted my D35 to ZJ disc brakes. I got the sensors from a bone yard and a pair of tone rings from a ZJ to replace the original. Worked great.
Going to a D44 of course is another story. If I had the axle I might be able to figure out whether the axle or the rings can be made to fit each other or if a D44 from other than XJ has everything I need.
They used Dana 44s on Fords and Dodges right?

You know, the more I think about how the ABS works, I think the only way to make it work is you would have to use a tone ring with the same number of teeth as the 35. If you didn't, it would throw the computer off. As I remember, the computer used the pulses it detects from the teeth of the ring to determine the rate of your deceleration. Once a predetermined rate of deceleration is detected, it figures a lockup, or impending lockup, is inevitable. So, if the number of teeth are off, you may encounter premature anti-locking modulation of the brakes making your stopping distance actually longer by having less braking when a lockup isn't impending, or you may encounter a lockup before the computer can determine an impending locking condition from the inaccurate tooth count.

Hmmm... then again, larger tires do the same thing, and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it not working correctly with bigger tires. Nevertheless, you still have to figure out how to do it.

ajpulley said:
You know, the more I think about how the ABS works, I think the only way to make it work is you would have to use a tone ring with the same number of teeth as the 35.
If you didn't, it would throw the computer off. As I remember, the computer used the pulses it detects from the teeth of the ring to determine the rate of your deceleration. Once a predetermined rate of deceleration is detected, it figures a lockup, or impending lockup, is inevitable. So, if the number of teeth are off, you may encounter premature anti-locking modulation of the brakes making your stopping distance actually longer by having less braking when a lockup isn't impending, or you may encounter a lockup before the computer can determine an impending locking condition from the inaccurate tooth count.

Hmmm... then again, larger tires do the same thing, and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it not working correctly with bigger tires. Nevertheless, you still have to figure out how to do it.

Correct, when I went from XJ to ZJ rings, I made sure the # of teeth was the same.
Unless the tires are not all the sime size, there would be no problem.
A tire large or small will make a complete turn at the same time the ring finishes a complete turn. Slipping will still be detected. AFAIK the ABS works even at low speeds, so the relatively slower tire rotation for the same speed should not affect it.

skyjackedxj96 said:
you must be a rich boy. just call dynatrac and get a custom built axle with ABS for 5 grand.

i got a XJ axle for 250, spent 400 for gears and locker, 100 for a brake rebuild. + pulled the ABS system relay. as others my ABS light is on, but i can't tell i dont have it anymore. Plus most 97+ XJ's didnt even have ABS out of the factory

I have a 96 with ABS. I could afford it :)

I did a search and came up dry on installing a Dana 44 from a TJ.
The spring mounts don't match, but besides that, what else is there to prevent a swap? I'd rather pay a little more for a newer axle that an 87-89 rust eaten XJ axle.

the tone rings are removeable from the d35 shaft -

what kind of down time are you alloting for this project?

you could get the tone rings pressed off your axles, machined / bored out to fit the new axle, then install them. Im not sure how the 8.8 looks behind the axle shaft flange, but going to disc brakes with a caliper with a built in e-brake would eliminate allt hat drum junk and open that area up some...

there was a blurb on car and driver one day about how no one has proven ABS prevents crashes. i learned to drive with threshold braking which is what the ABS does for you. if you are a pedal-slammer, ABS would work well for you. no offense meant,that's how a lot of people will stop in a panic situation. for offroad i think it sucks, as it won't let you skid tires going downhill,which means you can pick up speed. from what i've read in my owners manual the jeep system can kick off in that sort of steep stop. haven't tried it out yet, but if it doesn't i'll be yankin' on the parking brake lever! give me good tires and good brakes and i can stop. oh, and i'll take the D44 too..........................

Back