• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any difference between 8.25 and XJ dana 44 hard lines to drum brakes???

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Any difference between 8.25 and XJ dana 44 hard lines to drum brakes???

I sold my XJ dana 44 I had in a 87' XJ I bought and had a hard time getting the hard brake lines to disco without stripping the block and drum bolts. Is there any difference between the hard line ends/bolts of a 8.25 vs a XJ dana 44? Also I noticed at the pnps that the 87-90' or so dana 35's have the same finned drum brakes as a XJ dana 44 although internally smaller. Was this just an early pre Chrysler brake thing?

Troy

New steel lines can be bought with the ends already on them. Just get the correct length or slightly longer and coil the excess. (had to do that with my SOA Comanche axle) :read:

the bends in the lines that run on both these axles are similar enough that i almost tried it. but the splitter block on the 2 axles is offset by like 2 inches. get some pre-flared tubing and a GOOD QUALITY flaring tool and cut the new lines to proper length. pre-bent lines are available at an un-godly price from the dealer but dont do it..

Thanks for the replies. I'm just having trouble connecting the hardlines to the brake drums. I just didn't know if the hard lines ends were any different between the XJ dana 44 and a 8.25 rear axle. I have good pick n pulls where I live and can always get good parts like that.

thanks,

Troy

I got no help on the info you are looking for, but I remember when I installed my D44 rear, that getting those hard brake lines started on the drums was a PITA. You definately have to have them ligned up dead-nuts on before the threads will catch...

Back