• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clarke welder

R

robcedar666

just wondering if a clarke welder is worth buying or should i just go with miller, hobart or lincoln

It would be like a Century, a pice of $hit...

Hold off until you got the $$ to get a Miller, Hobart or Lincoln... Any one of the 3 will be a worthwhile investment.

And if you can, try to save up for a 220V unit while your at it (else you may kick yourself in the a$$ later).

HTH,
Andrew

haha, ya my dads got on of them clarke welders, everything about it is a joke. The motor that spins the drive rolls is like on of them little electric motors your get at a hobby shop, the ground lead is thinner then a piece of string, the process to set the heat doesnt make any sence, I could go on and on

Believe me do what the other guy said and you wont regret it.

I have had a lil ole Clarke 130E for 5 or 6 years. I have had no problems what so ever. It uses the same consumables as a Tweco. The thing to remember is a 130 is not fit to weld heavy materials. I use mine to weld sheetmetal and tubing up to 3/16"...It is not intended to weld plate steel, although I have welded up to 3/8" by preheating the material first.

If I weld heavier material, I break out the BobCat and some sticks.

Nothing wrong with a clarke... I bought mine (130E) because I could order it through Autozone...where I used to work. Have had it for over a year now. Great price for a welder with a cart if you ask me. Came with a helmet, cart, different sized tips, a spool of mig wire and a spool of flux, slag hammer, wire brush, and all the parts and regulator to add gas. Mine has held up to everything Ive done. Including welding 1/4 plate with no problems. I chamfered the edges and was able to weld on both sides. Spring perches and axle brackets are no problem either. You just have to know its limits. Would I rather have a Miller?? Heck yes! Ive never had a problem with my feed motor, or any of its functions. If you can afford a Miller by all means grab one of those. If you want an affordable welder to learn with or to practice, I say clarke isnt such a bad choice. I wouldnt go building people extreme cages with it, or try to build a chassis...but light duty, DIYer type stuff is fine.

Now...if I can just learn to weld upside down...

Justin

Back