• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to get at the junkyard?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok im going to the junkyard on saturday, most likely the hayward pick your parts. anyways im lookin for some spare shafts for my cherokee dana 44 i just recently got and my non vaccum disco dana 30. what other things should i look for? is there any other spare stuff i should get? and about how much will spare shafts be?

Shomsky462 said:
ok im going to the junkyard on saturday, most likely the hayward pick your parts. anyways im lookin for some spare shafts for my cherokee dana 44 i just recently got and my non vaccum disco dana 30. what other things should i look for? is there any other spare stuff i should get? and about how much will spare shafts be?
got steering? got front axle shafts? Btw if you come across another D44 you're better of getting the whole thing, keeping shafts and selling the housing or.... selling the whole thing and getting alloy shafts from the profits ;)

Front bearing assy's.
Tie rod ends (real handy if you bust one on the trail.. least it'd get ya out)
tail light assy's (there seems to be alot of these get busted...)
don't know about the price of the shafts..

driveshaft, steering, maybe a gas tank skid. 76 ford 44s and 79 60s.

yeah i dont think that i will come across another one, well maybe i will but im just looking for spare shafts cause anything else on a dana 44 would be useless as far as spare stuff cause im regearin with a lockright or something.
but as far as the junkyard is there anything i can pull off other trucks that is somewhat universal? like what year and model? i dont think i have the stronger 290 u joints in my dana 30 but can i find shafts with the 290 ujoints and swap them into what i have now?

oh BTW i have my stock steering and rusty's wheel to wheel tie rod conversion.

The Rusty's tie rod to tie rod I sold you should hold up good. Just use your stock drag link and tie rod as a spare if you need it on the trail. The XJ dana 44 should hold up with your 33's and eventual 35's that you said you wanted to get. It is kind of hard to find people selling their dana 44 axle shafts, but you might find someone if they are upgrading to alloy shafts. You can look around for people selling TJ dana 44 rear axle shafts as they are the right dimensions, just have a slightly different retainer from what I hear. I have a set of TJ dana 30 axle shafts (with the dana 44 sized Spicer 297 u-joints) I can sell you if you want, let me know Ryan.

I'd grab some driveshaft straps and bolt as both your front and rear driveshafts use the same 8 mm bolts and straps to retain the driveshaft u-joint. Other than that, I think you are good to go with your spare steering and also a set of dana 30 axle shafts preferably upgrading to the bigger Spicer 297 u-joints and welding the u-joint caps.

Troy

Forget pick-u-part. They should be be called picked-over-parts. There is more XJ's with better pickings in the junk yards on Depot Rd. I just saw a few XJ's with D44's at 3 different places over there. Two with nice concrete paved yards. The last one on the left with the mud lot will have one for sure., but he quote me the highest. Since I have an 8.25 the D44 was something I was just curious about in case I bust it. Go check them out over there.

XJCreeper said:
Forget pick-u-part. They should be be called picked-over-parts. There is more XJ's with better pickings in the junk yards on Depot Rd. I just saw a few XJ's with D44's at 3 different places over there. Two with nice concrete paved yards. The last one on the left with the mud lot will have one for sure., but he quote me the highest. Since I have an 8.25 the D44 was something I was just curious about in case I bust it. Go check them out over there.

forget the D44 if you bust an 8.25... there is only 1 spline difference. If you bust an 8.25, at least go 8.8 or better yet 9 inch.

Ive heard more troubles with the 8.8 than i have with a 44. If you can, go with the 9 inch tho haha. Ive got an 8.25 with a 44 in the garage. I see huge benefits. Bolt in shafts (no c-clip), lower gearing available, stronger aftermarket support. Honestly, i have heard no problems with people who run rear 44s except for running tires that were wayyy to big with shafts that are too small. Thats not a housing problem, unlike housing problems Ive heard from guys who run 8.8s come across tho... just my thoughts...

yeah the dana 44 is only a 1 spline difference if you have the 29 spline but in my case i didnt, i had the 27. with the dana 44 you can also run up to a 35 spline shaft and run 5.83 or something gears. and its a direct bolt in where the 9" or 8.8 is not. and unless you are runnin 37s or bigger i dont see the point in havin a 9" because you would have zero clearance in anything smaller than 37s. anywyas...where was that junkyard on depot road you were talking bout xjcreeper?

out of what vehicle and year can i find dana 30 axle shafts, non-disco, with the spicer 297 ujoints? and how do i pull the thermostat?

I think some of the newer a TJs run the shafts with larger Ujoints, but I could be worng.

I'd grab an extra water neck.. just incase you change your thermostat.. they crack very easy and jeep does't make them anymore and you can't get them from a parts house.. wrecking yard only.. I grabed a couple of them for ten bucks

If you are talking about the thermostat housing they are available at many places, but if you can get one from the pick and pull for a couple of bucks then I'd grab a spare or two or three.

Shomsky462 said:
out of what vehicle and year can i find dana 30 axle shafts, non-disco, with the spicer 297 ujoints? and how do i pull the thermostat?

any cherokee with ABS will have the larger joints (the tone ring is a giveaway) and any cherokee after 95?

bring a tape measure - 1-1/16" is 260 1-3/16" is 297 meausuring the bearing caps...

you dont want a junkyard thermostat - spend $15 on a new one at the dealer of $5 on a new one at the parts store...

Back