• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual aftermarket tranny coolers?

wacho4

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of any negative impacts of intstalling two tranny coolers, like those made by B&M, in series while bypassing stock radiator cooler? Any ideas on mounting? Anybody done something like this?
Just daydreaming of ways to get better coolin, since I need to replace stock radiator anyway. The only drawbacks I can think of is the phyiscal space needed to mount 2 coolers, and that might not really be a problem.
Any help?
Thanks!

why are you going to run two tranny coolers? Are you having issues with your transmission getting too hot or something? sounds kinda wierd

Don't bypass the stock tranny cooler if you don't have to. It takes a lot longer for transmission fluid to heat up than engine oil or coolant because there isn't any heat source in a transmission. The stock cooler helps to warm up the trans fluid in cold weather. Auto transmissions don't work too well then the fluid is really cold, they will slip alot.

You want your transmission to warm up high enough to evaporate any water that has condensed in the fluid. That would take a long time (few hours) without the stock cooler.

It is more of a heat exchanger than a cooler.

Most of the time your trans fluid is colder than your coolant. If you add two coolers in front of the radiator you are going to block quite a bit of air flow. It wouldn't do much to help your cooling, if not hurt it.

A single cooler should be plenty. If it does not include one, get a "Thermostatic Bypass Valve" from B&M, Flex-A-Lite, or someone similar.

What that valve does is control flow by responding to temperature. Too cool, and it routes fluid flow directly back into the box - operating temperature or higher, and it flows fluid through the cooler. This improves warmup times and transmission efficiency, and allows the transmission cooling circuit to be fully "divorced" from the engine cooling circuit.

You can install an external cooler and divorce the cooling circuits, but it will work better if you include the thermostatic bypass. It just bolts down to a convenient sheetmetal panel, and you plumb your cooler through it.

5-90

Thanks for the info every body. Here was my (probally very flawed) reasoning.
I am currently running very hot(even for an xj) with stock radiator. Recently I cracked this stock rad, and so need to replace anyway. I was thinking of one without a integrated tranny cooler to prevent the extra heat of that from getting the coolant warmer.
My xj is a daily driver, frequent wheeler, and farm truck. I have overloaded it much more than the TGVW. I know I should get a better truck for haulin', but I just can't. If I am running too hot now lightly loaded on the road, then what about when I'm heavily loaded, in 4Lo, only moving 10-15 mph tops, in 100 degrees, and my "I can't stand being hot" fiance needs the AC on? See my train of thought. (and I can't do anything about her.)
I will try 2 or 3 row aftermarket rad., with a 'divorced' tranny cooler w/ one of those Thermo Bypass Valves. What's everybody's opinion on the best radiator for a faily low price?

Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
i'm running 2 coolers on my IH scout. no problems, will help my 727 last. i had to put them up against the grille to get them off the rad. with them against the rad you could not see daylight thru em. too much blockage. moved em out and air flow is great. you can easily see daylight thru em. i didn't eliminate the rad cooler, it's nice to get heat to the fluid when it's subzero out. last time i replaced an XJ rad, the manual was the same as the auto. both had the auto provisions. if i was to put another cooler on my XJ i'd look into the ones with fans and move it totally out of the way of the rad. if you want the engine to run cooler an oil cooler would be of more benefit. this all in addition to what 5-90 said. now ya got me thinkin' about adding an oil cooler!

Back