• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasket Question

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I'm converting to Synthetic motor oil, I've got a 90 XJ with 194k miles and I know Synthetics will cause leaks with older gaskets so which gaskets do I need to swap out so it won't leak?

Valve Cover
Head Gasket
Front&Rear Main
Oil Pan
What else?

I changed to syn. in my '90 a while ago, no leaks as of yet....prob just jinxed myself....lol. If I had needed to replace all that crap just for changing oil types then I would just rebuild the eng.and be done with it.

I changed to synthetic in my '89 at about 151k, and now I'm at 155k with no new leaks (as of the typing of this post :)) since I changed over. Had to do my valve cover gasket a while back, but that was leaking before I changed oil types. It also quieted down my rocker arms, they used to make quite a lot of noise, but now I have to stick my ear against the valve cover to hear any noise :).

Synthetic Oil does NOT create leaks, in new or old engines. Synthetic oil flows more easily than the same viscousity conventional oil and the molecues are engineered to be polar, meaning they cling to metal and will have a greater capillary action. The result is that existing leaks in your motor may experience more oil passing thru the leak than it did with conventional oil.

That was not my experience when switching in a motor that 175k miles on it. Its more theory than practical experience, but a greater amount of leaking is possible.

SO, synthetic oil does NOT create leaks, it "MAY" make existing leaks a little a worse.

Some people will tell you that synthetic will wash away crud and dirt around seals and create new leaks. IMHO, that is very very unlikely. As well, some people believe Synthetic will break up existing crud and dirt in the motor and chunks may get caught up in the motor and cause damage. Again, IMHO, that is very very unlikely, fresh conventional oil can do the same thing, if the motor is that crudded or dirty, its going to happen wether you use synthetic or not.

Thanks Rick, I knew the part about Synthetics not making new leaks but aiding in older ones and that's why I want to change out some gaskets. My valve cover gasket is definately shot, I'm getting some minor blow-by and there's a tiny oil leak right arround the back of the oil pan which is definately coming from the engine so I wanna get rid of the existing leaks and blow-by but that's a different animal...

Back