• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear door latch lock stuck

jgcaseyjr

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my first xj (1998) has a couple problems. One is the rear hatch is locked closed. Key turns but hatch still dosen't open when handle is pulled. I ssearched other posts and tried the suggestions. Can trim panel be removed without door open? Does anyone know what size speakers are in the over head sound bar? My drivers window rolls up to about 1/4 in. of top and then gears disengage. Any sggestions? The rear hatch has really got me stumped.

Don't know about the hatch prob you're having. I used 5-1/4" JBL's in the headliner of my 99 and they fit perfectly. I would guess that your window problem is due to the regulator.

From a post of mine a few days ago...

"I recently replaced the latch on my '98, and it was somewhat of a pain with the hatch opened. I've heard of people pulling back the interior panel, at the lower part of the rear window, and reaching in to operate the latch manually. But I really can't see how this is done without seriously messing up the interior panel. There are some screws that hold the panel in along the top, and there are a couple that hold the panel on the sides, about half way down (about lower window level, near where the hatch struts mount on the bottom). You can't get to those without the hatch being open. The rest of the panel is held in place by "press in holders" that pop into holes on the hatch itself."

I actually destroyed my inerior hatch panel just a couple hours ago because my hatch has been jammed all day. All to find out the previous owner had just boogered the little clamp that attaches to the pull up rod and just tried to zip tie the little clamp together. I fixed it with needle nose pliers and then ran a heavy duty zip tie from the handle mech around the latch at the bottom...this way if the clamp boogers again I can still get the hatch up...tried it and it works fine. I'll probably just use some self tapping bolts and put a piece of diamond tread over the hatch on the inside.

AND with the trim piece gone (the WHOLE piece inside the hatch) my 31" spare fits in the stock position (with the little stock 'foot' gone where the stock spare would rest). With the trim still on the hatch would jam if I stood the tire up in the stock spot. I just used a ratchet strap to hold it to the little ear that sticks out on the rear panel (where the stock tire rod/bolt would go)...it has 2 holes and the little 300# ratchet strap hook fit it perfect. And if I cut into the hatch some from the inside a 33 would also fit.

I had trouble with my hatch and found out it would release if i pushed down on hatch when pulling handle up

Back