• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing smog system

R

robcedar666

just wondering if removing the smog system is a good idea, will removing the smog pump and all the vaccum lines make my Xj run bad and if so is there a way to make it run right. i live in north carolina were they dont test smog on 1996 and below vehicles and my is a 93 so iam hoping that i will be fine, is this right?

You don't have much "smog system."

The EGR valve was deleted starting in 1991, and there never was an air pump feeding into the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter mounted on the 4.0. The CCV system should stay put, since it's helpful to something other than smog, and there's just not much else to be removed.

Just curious - but have you taken a good look under the hood yet? You'll find that there isn't much for you to want to remove, and the 4.0 does a good job of running clean anyhow (mine actually ran cleaner without the EGR valve working - 1987 - but I still failed because they checked it manually. Damn California!)

5-90

sorry for the stupid question iam in afganistan with the army and i just had my dad pick me up an xj i dont know anything about jeeps thats why iam on here trying to learn, iam used to fords and i know that tthey have smog pumps so iam sorry for the stupid questoin

Back