• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputtering when turning left????

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed over the past few days that when ever I am taking a left hand under power the engine studders, cuts out and loses power, but once I let off the throttle and go straight it pwers back up. Anybody got any ideas??

The other thing I've notice, that is buggin me, is I can get aproximately 200 miles on the top half of the tank and maybe 70 if I am lucky on the bottom have. Is the gas gage messed up, is it possible?

Oh yeah its on a 98, thanks

Why do I always ask the weird impossible question

j/k

CartsXJ said:
I've noticed over the past few days that when ever I am taking a left hand under power the engine studders, cuts out and loses power, but once I let off the throttle and go straight it powers back up. Anybody got any ideas??

The fuel pump pick-up is on the left side of the tank so when you take a hard left turn, the fuel goes to the right side of the tank. If the tank is less than 1/4 full, this might be enough to starve the fuel pump.

CartsXJ said:
The other thing I've notice, that is buggin me, is I can get aproximately 200 miles on the top half of the tank and maybe 70 if I am lucky on the bottom have. Is the gas gauge messed up, is it possible?

You probably have a faulty gauge sending unit. Unfortunately it's part of the fuel pump assembly and you can't just replace that single unit. You'd have to replace the whole assembly. If the above symptoms are occurring even with plenty of gas in the tank, you might end up doing that anyway.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said the same thing abotu the pick-up. Plus you can get the individual piece of that assembly if you need to. I was just quoted, $114 for the filter, ~$38 for the sending unit, and ~$240 for the pump.......the whole unit was somewhere in the $400 range.

Whoa... $400 is a little steep... especially the $114 for the filter, I replaced my filter for around $20.

Edit: Forgot, if you have a late model XJ, the filter is inside the tank, might be more expensive for that one :(.

yes everything is in the tank.........I wonder if its possible to retrofit the older style stuff on it...........mmmmmmmm..........doubt it, probably too easy.

Back