• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb replacing rear leafs (help please)

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
90'xj

Did search and research and have questions.

Im getting the Quadratech (sp?) HD stock rear leafs to replace the past tense ones on my xj. I plan on adding the Poly bushings while im at it. Noticed I need to replace both shackles due to corrosion (flaking apart and only 1/2 original thickness).

It was recommended that I start learning to work on the Jeep and do these myself so did search and research here and found plenty of horror stories of busted bolts, frozen bolts, etc....Learned torching is the way to go. No prob. there. Quite concerned about the main front bolts which from the sound of it are buried in the frame. Also heard about breaking multiple tools trying to get bolts loose. Did read about generously applying PB before hand.

The leafs do not come w/bushings and looking at the Poly ones in the pic I see they have ridges on each end. How are they put on? I did see some greasable ones that were two pieces and screwed together. Do the poly ones all screw together?

Wish I retained the info but one Poly bushing set for rear leafs came w/2 each of three sizes of bushings. What would the third size be for?

In replacing the rear shackles....any reason I should not buy the 2" lift shackles? If I do put the 2" lift shackles on will I need anything else to change for the rear? Shocks? (just put new stock shocks on which came w/Jeep) but planning on replacing w/sensatrac anyway at some point.

Where can I find the 5/16 center pins and ALL new bolts? The U bolts look ok.

What else am I missing?

Any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated!

I did see similar threads but didnt want to hijack them.

I do have one floor jack and two jack stands. Will need to buy large box end wrenches. What else?

I also plan on eventually adding the BPE's which I will most likely need for the sensatracs anyway.

Many thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
I'd guess the third bushing is for the top end of the shackle.
My advice do a search and read and believe all the horror stories about
those front bolts. If things are rusted like you say I can guarantee those bolts are *not* going to just unscrew, so be prepared to cut the bolts and cut into the frame pocket. Some have advised just cutting them without even trying to remove them -- I didn't think that made sense before doing it but now I do.. In any case a Sawzall is a must.

When I replaced my springs, I soaked all the bolts for a few days with three shots of PB Blaster everyday. My rear bolts were harder to get off than my front. Just take your time.
If the bolt seems to move a little but not much, work it back and forth for awhile and it should work itself free. These bolts were never removed before and my jeep is an 85.
But if the bolt breaks, as already stated, you will be cutting a hole or two. Good luck.

Kim.

Did the search already and read the horror stories.

Anyone know if NAPA carries all the replacement bolts and center pins for the new leafs?

Are the Poly bushings two piece and if not how do you get them in with the ridges on each end?

Thanks for the help!

Ken

the front bolt on my drivers side broke off on me. i had 1/8th of an inch left in the leaf spring. had to cut the remainder off with a sawsal. got the bolt out my own little way. drilled it out and tried an easy out. didnt work. i took a dremel tool with a metal grinding bit on the snake attatchement and cut the remainder of the bolt like a pie or pizza. used needle nose pliers to pull out. some slivers needed some persuading with a punch tool and some force first. all and all, very little if any damage to the threads and i didnt need to retap cut the nutplate out and reweld the framerail.

hope that helps.
stewie

stewie said:
the front bolt on my drivers side broke off on me. i had 1/8th of an inch left in the leaf spring. had to cut the remainder off with a sawsal. got the bolt out my own little way. drilled it out and tried an easy out. didnt work. i took a dremel tool with a metal grinding bit on the snake attatchement and cut the remainder of the bolt like a pie or pizza. used needle nose pliers to pull out. some slivers needed some persuading with a punch tool and some force first. all and all, very little if any damage to the threads and i didnt need to retap cut the nutplate out and reweld the framerail.

hope that helps.
stewie

Will keep that in mind. I do have a Dremel and a sawzall and a grinder..

Thanks,
Ken

I did this recently. My horror stories consist of the idiots at quadratech not being able to understand that I want the bushings that go in both ends of the leaf springs. not the one that goes on the body end of the shackle. (d'oh)
anyways.
about a week before we shot all the nuts and bolts with liquid wrench. then on the day of, we saturated the mfers.
we supported the jeep to take the tires off. then raised the jeep all the way up by putting blocks under the frame rails infront of the leaf spring mount.
Unbolting the axle mounting pad was easy and the shocks don't let the axle tear the brake lines off.
using wrenches and prybars we slowly turned all the nuts and bolts off. emphasis on slowly.
you don't have to take the shackle out, just use a prybar to move it out of the way. so you can move the leaf spring back and rotate it down to get the old one out.

repeat the process in reverse to do the install.

it took my dad and I three hours to do both sides...its not that daunting of a task.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. a metal pipe(two diffent sizes actually), a hammer and a hell of a lot of wd40 works real well for installing the factory replacement bushings.

just be sure to support the spring so it doesn't wobble about

and the springs do come assembled.

installing and removing bushings is a much easier task with a ball joint press (cheap at harbor freight) and the appropriate size socket(s). push em in or out.

Ok cool so there is hope!

I am going to use Poly bushings and replace my shackles and still not sure how the Poly's go on.

Seeking a cost effective source for shackels and deciding if I will go w/2" lift ones.

Thanks again,
Ken

Lift up your seat and look at the floor, has it rotted away in the corners by the inner wheel wells, if so you can now get to the front bolts and soak the snot out of them with PB Blaster.

dizzymac said:
Lift up your seat and look at the floor, has it rotted away in the corners by the inner wheel wells, if so you can now get to the front bolts and soak the snot out of them with PB Blaster.

Front is not rotted yet. Do have one spot in the back rear corner though! If its worth it im not adverse to cutting access holes from the top and welding back in....in lieu of trying to do the same thing from the bottom.

Just picked up some PB Blaster tonight to begin initial spraying.

Thanks,
Ken

There should be a factory-provided hole in the underside of the frame rail where you can insert the PB Blaster spray wand and get a good shot at the inboard end of the front spring bolt. Give it a liberal soaking every night for a week before you start the work.

BTW -- the poly bushings come in two pieces, slide one in from each side and they meet in the middle.

Eagle said:
There should be a factory-provided hole in the underside of the frame rail where you can insert the PB Blaster spray wand and get a good shot at the inboard end of the front spring bolt. Give it a liberal soaking every night for a week before you start the work.

BTW -- the poly bushings come in two pieces, slide one in from each side and they meet in the middle.

Great info to know! Thanks a bunch!

Now I just need to find out where I can get all the new replacement bolts and some new center pins! Can I just go to the local hardware store and get the right strength items? I checked NAPA's website and didnt have any luck there. I know at my local parts store if I can just take in one complete bolt of each size I need thay can usually find something that will work, generally speaking.

Need new shackles to. Found some at Chryslur online but forget that! Still trying to decide if I should put on 2" rise shackles. Any reason I shouldnt w/new HD leafs?

Thanks again,
Ken

XplodJeepster said:
I did this recently. My horror stories consist of the idiots at quadratech not being able to understand that I want the bushings that go in both ends of the leaf springs. not the one that goes on the body end of the shackle. (d'oh)

You are far from the only one with that story. The small bushing QT is shipping everyone is not even a part you could order from them if you wanted it.
This BS has gone on for over two years, nice to see they havn't caught on.

The best part is they will make you pay return shipping.

(If anyone happens to need a pair of shackle upper end bushings let me know..)

gjxj said:
You are far from the only one with that story. The small bushing QT is shipping everyone is not even a part you could order from them if you wanted it.
This BS has gone on for over two years, nice to see they havn't caught on.

The best part is they will make you pay return shipping.

(If anyone happens to need a pair of shackle upper end bushings let me know..)

PM'd (I have to replace my shackles)

Thanks,
Ken

Back