• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

campgrounds recommendations?

chad

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I'm going to be driving up to see my Grandma in Idaho at the end of the month and I was wondering if any of you could recommend some campgrounds to stay at on the way up.I'm looking to stay one night in the Grants Pass area, and the next night in the Mount Ranier area (5 to the 12 to the 82). I'd like something fairly close to the highway and not too expensive. Names and possibly directions to the campgrounds would be great and much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chad

Thats some serious mileage,not to be nosy but MT.Ranier is not on the way to Idaho from Cal.It is several hundred miles out of your way.Where in Idaho are you going ,there is some state highways that cut right through Oregon to the Boise/Ontario area.

There is some campgrounds off I-5 before and after Grants Pass,never stayed there but try Oregon state camping or campgrounds on search engine should give you more info.Ill warn you camping isnt as cheap as it used to be in Oregon especially state campgrounds but most state park campgrounds have showers.

Found Oregon atlas let me take a look.

VALLEY OF THE ROGUE:water hook-ups showers,looks like its right of I-5 after GOLD HILL and before GRANTS PASS.State park should be nice but not cheap, but cheaper than motel.1-800-551-6949 for reservations you might need them as the Rogue river is a popular area.

Hey thanks MACH90XJ!
I'm accually taking two weeks vacation, so I wanted to take my time on the way up and enjoy the scenery. I know that the western sides of Oregon and Washington have a lot more mountains and forest, plus I'm also going to try to stop and see some other family. My grandma lives in Moscow Id. wich is in the panhandle, so it's not too far out of the way.
Hey, thanks again for the info. I really appreciate you going to the trouble. If you're ever down this way give me a holler.
Chad

I just noticed you are sitting at 3" and on 31"tires.This is what I am looking into right now except for 30/9.5.If you have pics I would like to see what it looks like,Im having a hard time finding anyone with pics of this setup.Looking into OME setup,but my stock wheels Im told wont handle 31" tires,its either new wheels or a lift so far I choose lift first.
Have fun and take your time.If your going through roseburg during daylight stop and checkout WILDLIFE SAFARI in Winston,we liked it.There are so many places to see on the way I could go all day.

Once you're in Washington and traveling east from Interstate 5 on either Highway 12 or Highway 508, you'll be heading into the Gifford Pinchot (pinch-oh) National Forest. Check out their website at http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/

Here's a map of the area you'll be traversing:
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/global/images-other/gpnf_vicinity.jpg

There are several campgrounds along the way from Interstate 5 all the way into the Yakima Valley. You'll be traveling into and through the Wenatchee National Forest as well on your way into Yakima. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/

The terrain will change from a west side temperate forest with deciduous trees and evergreens to a more sparsely vegetative area on the eastern slopes of the Cascades with pines and scrub. You're really seeing both extremes while taking this route. There may even be some spots of snow left on the top of Chinook Pass.

Feel free to ask any questions. Enjoy your road trip and be careful.

Man, I love this site!
Thank you guys a ton.
I will probably try to make reservations this weekend.

MACH90XJ,
I do have some pics, but I haven't picked up the cd from walmart yet. Hopefully I'll be able to post them tommorow or the next day so keep checking. BTW I don't know which stock wheels you have, but I'm running 31's on my stock wheels with no problems. They do rub the flares and bumper caps a little when fully flexed, but it's only plastic. I'll get those pics up as soon as I can.
Thanks again,
Chad

Back