• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes 2wd vs 4wd?

rredalty

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a brake set up that would increase my stopping ability for my "spirited" driving. I have a 91 2wd Cherokee with the 4.0l and aw4. There is stuff available for the the 2wd but there is better stuff available for the 4wd and I was wanting to know the difference if there is one. Thanks.

There is no difference within any year. However, your '91 has 9" rear drums. The 1990 and earlier with the Dana 35 rear axle had 10" x 1.75" drums, and the early ones with the Dana 44 axle had 10" x 2.5" drums.

Sorry I didn't clarify but I'm looking at the front systems.

Thats what I needed to know. Thanks.

That's not true on all years! The early ones had a stub shaft with rotor that popped off (same as the early 4wd ones) My '86 and '87 Comanches and '86 Cherokee that was 2wd had this setup. I kept them for trail spares in case I lost a bearing. Now I'm swapping mine out for ZJ front knuckles and CV shafts from a V8 (better than the CAD I have now!)

Back