• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender "Repair" Questions

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
Lifted 4.5" and cut deep to fit 33's, riveted on some aftermarket flares front and rear. Now at 6", hate the flares now so they are gone. What's left is my very amatuer body saw cutting job up front and the slice & hammer job in the rear (actually isn't that bad looking) PLUS lots of tiny rivet holes in the quarter panels. I really want to join the "fabricator's club" so I want to do the repair myself.

1) How do I repair the rivet holes? Fill with rivets, tack weld and grind?

2) How do I reverse (about an inch) of what I cut off? New panels ($$$)

2000 XJ Sport

Any advice appreciated.

P

call CERFIT. I think they are nation wide and they sell new (cheap) body panels. I have not bought jeep panels from them but I have bought all sorts of other fenders and such from them and they are cheap, much easier than fixing a dent, just prime and paint and put it on. For the back I would get a nice set of flares of your choice to cover up the mess (you could probably use stock flares from the sounds of it??)

Michael

Sorry forgot the info and how to spell.

Certi-Fit not Cerfit.

Look in the yellow pages (I have not tried the web).
My local one is in WA and the number is 425-656-9000 maybe they could get you the number for one neer you??

Good Luck,
Michael

for the holes you could tack weld it i suppose, you could also use a good body filler too if the holes are'nt too big, or make a small batch of fiberglass and fill them in. As for putting the metal back that you cut away, its not gonna happen without new panels.

eric

I think I have a solution...flares are going bye bye and I'm going to do a search on line-x or herculiner. I bet that fills a 1/16" rivet hole. One of those things you've been looking for an excuse to do.

P

if u want to get new fenders, i got mine from auto parts wholesalers, think they were like 40 bucks a piece +shipping. then paint it and be done. fit was fine with em.

Certi-Fit fenders are available in Salt Lake City, UT at Interstate Auto Parts. I know that is a bazillion miles from you, but just for your info their stuff is CHEAP!

I bought a fender for a '91 for $22. It was the certi-fit brand. They are Chinese and made of a thinner gauge steel than factory, so they dent a little easier. On the plus side, they are probably a whopping half pound lighter each (for you desert racers):rolleyes:

Anyways, I was satisfied with the Chinese crap to buy and install it. Works great and fits pretty well.

Find the certi-fit parts, buy them and love them.

Called certi-fit here in my neck of the woods (closest one was in DC) and the said they would send me a catalog but would not do mail order so I would have to drive up and buy them on site...wierd. I think I'm back to just trimming a bit more, fabbing some reinforcements in the front, trimming more and welding some sheet metal in the rear and bed-lining from front fender to rear quarter just below the body lines....flares suck.
P

to fill the rivet holes; grind or coarse sand (36grit) around the hole down to the metal to give it some bite. Then tap with a pick hammer to create a slight indent. Fill the indent with a dab of body filler.

Back