• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mid bushwacker install

Broklee

NAXJA Forum User
Well, once again I get stuck somewhere along the way of trying to do-it-myself.

Had a question bout how exactly the bushwackers are mounted.. I have bolts, spacers, and washers, and some self tapping screws provided by bushwacker.

So far i've accomplished trimming, marking holes, and drilling them with the 5/32 drill bit on the front. What are the bolts that I use suppose to tighten up to? DO i need to buy nuts for this ? thx .

Just use the nuts from your factory flares. They are the same thread as the bolts that come with the BW flares. I did this with some washers and it works great. I have had the flares rubbed up against many rocks and not one has moved or torn anything apart.

Make sure the bolts are just snug enough to make the rubber trim squish tight. Any tighter and you will strip the hole. I noticed that the 5/32 bit made a hole that was a little slopy for my liking. So I used a bit just a tad smaller to make the provided self tapping bolt hold better. I did have to use a small rachet to get them started though.

same here. by making the hole a bit smaller, you end up with more metal for the bolts to bite into, making for a stronger mounting.

thanks..I just wanted to get them on today so I used all the hardware provided. Once gets bit warmer out I'm gonna switch everything out with nuts and bolts.

K, Here's the progression pics!
bushwacker2.jpg

bushwacker1.jpg

Now the real fun begin. The rear is a PITA.:explosion

Nevermind the fact that if you do it as per bushwackers instructions, your entire pinch seam is gone... have fun with that one, doing mine sucked, bigtime. (think, BFH x 5)

Having just finished this a few weeks ago myself i will have to tell you, in line with the others..........................

:flamemad: THE REAR IS THE BIGGEST PITA EVER!!!! :flame:

There are few things that have been that annoying for me in my life....
All i can say for a recommendation is to have plenty of cut off wheels for the grider [I am assuming that you hare using a grider / cutoff wheel] and a big rubber mallet . Also alot of coffee and a bowl or some pills or beer or whatever your pleasure. You will need it.

No but really you will need to cut the bushwackers themselves to get them to fit as its next to impossible to cut your rear body panels to fit the fenders as they are made for installs where you cut and reweld or use bondo.

jeeping.com has a pic where you can sorta see it... seriously make life easier for yourself and cut the wackers if i remember ill post a pic...

Aaron

:geek:

ah crap..I was feeling fairly confident after putting on the front flares but you all just shot that right out the window....heh, i've never heard of a jeep mod causing this much trouble.....DAMNT....now im skurrred to even begin.

X10
BFG is the only way to go:exclamati I don't understand what the Bushwacker folks mfg was thinking. Having 1/2 your wheelwell hanging open is not an option for my XJ. Do it like Jeeping Jason shows you and it'll be the best way to keep you uni-body strong. Thanks for the writeup Jason!
To cut mine I found the sawzall with the scroll blades was the easiest. Just like using a big jig saw.
http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_27_40027_-1_282964_189561_189319_127418_Y
To get a bigger wheelwell opening up inside I cut alot of slots and rolled the seam in an up with the good ole BFG. I had to beat the side in a bit to accomplish extra clearance. So I then covered up the unibody with some rocker armor and sealed the seam with ureathane. Took alot of time. Good luck doing this one. Fo me it was a big test of patience and head scratchin'.

Last edited:
well after reading the trouble in this thread, i dont think i'm gonna buy a set for my 2dr...unless for some reason there is a difference in the installs for a 2dr compared to a 4dr (probably not)

My guess is the two door would be a little easier as getting the door piece aligned with the wheel opening piece would not be an issue. With the 4 door install everthing must line up exactly correct with the door seam to look a fit good.

With the 2 door install you might be able to the cutting and bending of the seam and just fit the flare a tad lower and call it good.

One thing I really like about them is they cover my bigger tires better. I can no see better without mud on the winshield all the time.:flipoff:

LOL.

I'm not a big fan of mud, i prefer rocks and dirt (i hate cleaning mud off of everything)

as much as i love the look of bushwackers, not crazy on the amount of install time.

Prepmech has a sweet setup going on with threaded inserts. He put the inserts on the body of his XJ and is just using reguler bolts. That way he can remove the flairs for wheeling to prevent them from getting ripped off or busted up. I'm going to be following his setup on mine once it gets warmer, and I have time to do it. This is about the best pic I have of his XJ, but you can see the incerts none the less.

DSCF1137.jpg

Back