• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Licence plate light

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running their licence plate on the rear anyplace other than center? I have the Rigid Co rear bumper and tire carrier and I placed my tire in the center. I moved my licence plate to the right side, but I still have yet to find a good way to make a licence plate light. Any ideas? The licence plate is on the swing arm, so the light would have to be able to be moveable. I'll post pictures when I get outta work today.

Check your local - trailer lighting section. You should be able to find something there.

You don't need much - just enough to light up the plate at night. And, since Jeep Universals used a lot of trailer-type lights on the rear, you're "Keeping it Jeep..."

Devise a way to lower the plate mount, or come up with a small sheetmetal support for the light, and you can have it swing away with the plate itself.

5-90

Xjs with factory tire carriers had the license plate mounted on the drivers side of the hatch. The light was nothing fancy, mounted above the plate. 5-90s suggestion of a trailer light is a good one.

Spudboy

Bought a lic. frame w/ light built in. Attached license to spare tire (Sams off-raod actually has a licnense plate mounting kit that bolts on with the spare) - I ended up using plumbers-tape and a wingnut to make a removable attachment. I ran a wire zip-tyed the tire carrier to the tail light with a quick-disconnect screw-type connection. The wiring has enough play and flexes as the tire carrier swings in-and-out. Works well.

Also, there are license plate mounts that go into the 2" reciever.

Jeepin Jason said:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/ORO-LitePLATE.html

I'm going to be installing the same kit on my XJ soon.
FYI-
I bought the kit you refer; by Sun Co., I believe. Anyway did not work for me because I have stock Jeep alloy wheels and the center hole was not big enough for the bracket to enter. With wheels that have larger center opening, like for hubs, would be no problem.

Different kit. The kit from Rockhard4x4 uses a much smaller size tubing than the Sun kit.

DSC00978.jpg

I don't have a light on mine, haven't for the last year and have had no problems. I guess I probably should look into putting one back there, though.

i used "lite'n bolts" -- had to replace them once, but so far two sets in 4 years isn't too bad -- they screw in and actually hold your plate on too -- easy enough to wire in. my plate is mounted below my tire carrier to the right also.

http://www.cbrack.com/lite_n-boltz_photos.htm

XJGrl

Snow%20Jeep%202.jpg

Last edited:
38668_LED_LicenseLite.JPG

I used one of these on the left side where the stock plate would go if you had a stock tire carrier.
The wiring is already there for the plate in the hatch, on the left side.

XJGrl said:
i used "lite'n bolts" -- had to replace them once, but so far two sets in 4 years isn't too bad -- they screw in and actually hold your plate on too -- easy enough to wire in. my plate is mounted below my tire carrier to the right also.

I just put my Lite N Bolts on last night. :D Got rid of the POS light in the picture.
calico06u.jpg

Back