• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft BB's or other alternate tire balancing methods

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
What do you use?

Where did you puhchase the product?

How much per tire? (OZ or Grams)

What size tire did you use it with?

What's your opinion on how well it balances your tires, ride, noise, wear, etc?

My personal experience:
I have run equal in some 11R24.5's steer tires, but IMO it sucks. Either I didn't get the right amount or it clumped togther, anyway I don't think it did a very good job.

Looking to use Airsoft or similar in the jeep once I decide on tires.

Thanks

tompatjr said:
What do you use?

premium 25 gram airsoft off of ebay,

Where did you puhchase the product?

ebay

How much per tire? (OZ or Grams)

10 oz

What size tire did you use it with?

35" mtr,s and interco ssr's

What's your opinion on how well it balances your tires, ride, noise, wear, etc?

100% satisfied on all counts have balanced 15 tires

My personal experience:
I have run equal in some 11R24.5's steer tires, but IMO it sucks. Either I didn't get the right amount or it clumped togther, anyway I don't think it did a very good job.

equal does clump with any moisture..............and very expensive to use

Looking to use Airsoft or similar in the jeep once I decide on tires.

Thanks

the airsoft worked very well, but I never used the hard plastic yellow .12 gram ones............but others have like brettM

I am putting the .12 gram el-cheapo bb's in my Iroks this weekend. I will report back.

I run one tube of 1000 airsoft pellets (about 8oz) in each of my 35" MT/R's on 16" alloy wheels, and love it. I paid about $5 per tire for the pellets at the local sporting good store. It's smooth as driving on glass at 75, and you dont get the sound of things bouncing around at low speed like you do if you use golf balls. I'm using the hard plastic yellow ones.

This is the first set I have done this with, and only have about 4,000 miles on them .. so i cant say how they affect wear, but i cant imagine they do at all.

-C

I Have equal in my tires.. they didnt replace the valve stems with filtered ones.. so they clog the valve stem.. and i am sure i am slowly loosing it..
I will go with the soft bb's most likely..

call me stupid but are you guys referring to putting the bb's inside the tire before you mount the rim. than mount them up and inflate them and drive with bb's rolling around inside...honest question thanks

SourApple said:
call me stupid but are you guys referring to putting the bb's inside the tire before you mount the rim. than mount them up and inflate them and drive with bb's rolling around inside...honest question thanks

STUPID! ;^)

Honest answer, yes!

There are other products out there for this purpose but they cost more or have issues.

Can't think of the name of the stuff I run right now but they are ceramic beads. They have a website that tells how much is recommended for different size tires and I just ran what they had listed. Works great, not more stupid wheel weights. This stuff is not Equal.

Edit: found it Dyna Beads @ [SIZE=-1]www.innovativebalancing.com/[/SIZE]

Im gonna bite on the "stupid newb" angle and ask more questions! :confused1
Is this method of balancing in lieu of weights or along w/minimal weights?Both?

Is it used mainly on larger tires or does it work as well on stock size to?

Im putting slightly used 235/75R15's on next week thar are evenly worn. Would this method be a benefit?

Thanks,
Ken

Its done instead of weights. Larger tires or tires that are taken offroad alot are harder to keep in balance.. they are farther out to begin with, weights get ripped off offroad or in water, etc. On that small of a tiresize if you arent hardcore wheeling them, I'd just do weights. If you had 33+ tires or got into the mud and rocks *alot* I'd consider some kind of internal ballast.

-C

klonestar said:
Im gonna bite on the "stupid newb" angle and ask more questions! :confused1
Is this method of balancing in lieu of weights or along w/minimal weights?Both?

Is it used mainly on larger tires or does it work as well on stock size to?

Im putting slightly used 235/75R15's on next week thar are evenly worn. Would this method be a benefit?

Thanks,
Ken

works well with anytire, but usually used on large ones.......I used on a rim that was bent a bit with 31's could not be balanced with weights but worked well with internal banalcing with arisoft pellets

cherowagon said:
two shot glasses of silver bb's, not copper, as copper plugs up the valve stem. works wonders.

Silver BB's are just zinc coated steel....the zinc will rub off and they will still rust and cause a whole slew of problems. Dont put ANYTHING metal inside your tires unless you like big rusted balls of mess....

As far as noise goes, how much noise does the Airsoft BB's create at low speeds such as traffic or a parking lot. I'd love to do this, but my only concern is to have my jeep sounding like a little kids bike from the 80's with those bead things on the spokes. Also, has anyone noticed any effects on the inside of the tire or rim?

Back