• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric window problem

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and didn't get any thing quite like I'm experiancing. I've run out of projects for the time being so I'll tackle this. The passenger front window only works from the drivers control. The window lock is not on either.
I took off the plug on the passenger side and cleaned the connections and checked the fuses , still nothing. Is that door button on a separate fuse ? Maybe I missed something.
Any ideas would be appreciated.:sunshine:
Thanks

How about the rear windows? Might be a bad connection on the lockout switch or the lockout switch itself or the passenger side window switch. I have the same problem on my 99 4dr, all the windows work but only from the driver's control panel. I'm guessing it to be the lockout switch in my case.

boise49ers said:
I did a search and didn't get any thing quite like I'm experiancing. I've run out of projects for the time being so I'll tackle this. The passenger front window only works from the drivers control. The window lock is not on either.
I took off the plug on the passenger side and cleaned the connections and checked the fuses , still nothing. Is that door button on a separate fuse ? Maybe I missed something.
Any ideas would be appreciated.:sunshine:
Thanks

It sounds like you have an older XJ?

Check the connectors inside the switch. They may be slightly larger. Take an awl or a small screwdriver and bend them in a little.

If this does not work you may want to look into the Jeepin Joe power windows mod. It helped with my XJ a great deal when it came to windows almost not working.

For the power locks the Greg Smith power locks write up is well worth it.

Yes an 88. I really don't care about the locks. I can lean over and lock or unlock those. It is the power windows. The main control panel on the drivers side works the passenger window , but the passenger switch doesn't work it. It may be the switch itself. How would I test it ? I think it is a double switch. Lock and window. The lock one has power to it. It tries to lock the doors, just doesn't have enough juice I guess. Can I swap the switches. Are they the same is what I'm wondering.
Thanks

Last edited:
FRAM said:
Look up the "Greg Smith power door locks" thread. It has all the answers.

Good luck.
Wonderful write up. It is for door locks though. Not windows. It gets no power to any of the window switches, but I can use the drivers switches and it works. I cleaned the window unlock switch and still nothing.

Last edited:
CantonXJ said:
How about the rear windows? Might be a bad connection on the lockout switch or the lockout switch itself or the passenger side window switch. I have the same problem on my 99 4dr, all the windows work but only from the driver's control panel. I'm guessing it to be the lockout switch in my case.
This is sounding most like my problem. Thanks !

boise49ers said:
Wonderful write up. It is for door locks though. Not windows. It gets no power to any of the window switches, but I can use the drivers switches and it works. I cleaned the window unlock switch and still nothing.

Sorry I thought you were having power door lock issues too.

This is the power window write up: http://www.jeepinjoe.com/html/power_window_switch.html

Last edited:
Quick question, on the power door lock wiring are you just replacing the power leading to switches and leaving the old supply out of the loop?

xjoe said:
Quick question, on the power door lock wiring are you just replacing the power leading to switches and leaving the old supply out of the loop?

The old power becomes a trigger for the relay and the new power feed. There should be a link to a diagram in the thread...

OK here is my plan. Replace the lock out switch and do the JeepinJoe bypass power lead trick. I'm thinking that should do it. Now I just need to track down a lock out switch.
Thanks

Back