• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need pics, dimensions, etc. of skid plate mounting hardware

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a used skid plate but it didn't come with the mounting hardware. I don't even know how many screws/bolts hold it on. I went to the stealership yesterday and they wanted to charge me $35 for 4 bolts and the guy wasn't even sure if those were going to be enough. It's an OEM skid plate, if anyone has information I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jamie

It would help to know which skid you're referring to - they all use different counts and type of hardware (in true Jeep fashion :)).

I can say this right off the bat:

Tcase skid uses 3 bolts and 3 nutcerts (two in crossmember, one in driver's side frame rail).

Front skid uses 3 bolts, and three stud-nutcert-nut mechanisms that hold the leading edge to the front crossmember.

I was able to score my front and tcase skids as new from dealers, so I have the instruction sheets for them at home. My tank skid is a boneyard special, so maybe someone else can chime in with info for that one as far as what the kit used to come with.

Rob

Along with pix of Skid plates, can folks post pix of how they mounted thier Aftermarket bumpers, I have a home made winch type and want to see how some are mounted.

Rob,

I need the details for the front skid. I don't suppose you would be able to mail or email the directions to me. I was with you when you were talking about the 3 bolts that hold it on but you kind of lost me when you talked about the 3 bolts but I am kind of confused about the "stud-nutcert-nut mechanisms". Can I pick up all this stuff from Home Depot?

Thanks,
Jamie

I don't have access to the bookmarks for his site, but Craig Houghtaling has a write-up on his "Swiss Army Jeep" site about lowering the front skid to adapt it for a lifted XJ. That article may give you the info you need for a stock install.

Maybe someone here has his site URL. If not, search on "Swiss Army Jeep" or "Craig Houghtaling"

Is the front Skid sill available?

Or is it one of the many items no longer available? Just wondering b/c I scored one at the U-pull it last week and a machinest friend that has an xj is going to build himself one. What were these things priced origonally? I would love to see those instructions too Rob! Mine came off a 85 and it had more bolts then what you guys are takling about. It had three on one side (passanger?) two on the other (driver) and atleast three maybe six on the front.

At one time it was available over the counter as a service replacement part, but I'm sure it is no longer serviced. I never heard of anyone buying one, though. Most folks think "gas tank" when buying skids to put on a vehicle they already own.

Check out Craig's article. It explains the mounting fairly thoroughly.

Back