• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Fluid, is Mopar PSF it?

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any alternative to $6 per quart Mopar brand PSF?

According to service info, Mopar PSF is the only recommended fluid, any other fluid may cause pump failure or seal damage.

I've read of a DaimlerChrysler technical service bulletin that said Dexron Mercon III is in fact compatible. I wish I could finf this TSB myself.

If Dexron Mercon III is used in place of Mopar PSF, can it be mixed with traces of the old fluid?

I've always used regular parts-store power steering fluid. I'd go to Napa or someplace like that and read labels. I'm pretty sure you'll find something that claims compatibility with Mopar. Remember, too, that this isn't really a Chrysler pump, as far as I know. It's a Saginaw (GM) pump and steering gear. The 89 pump in my 95 definitely did not like Dexron when I put it in once. I had to flush it completely to quiet it down again. This was a surprise because I regularly ran Dexron in my 87, and other Saginaw pumps I've known were happy enough with it. The pump had been sitting in the barn for a couple of years, so perhaps it was dirty inside, but all I know is that it cost me three fills worth of PS fluid to undo my assumption.

ATF and PS Fluid are variations of Hydrualic Fluid, with different qualities of the base oil and additives packages; and they are also a variation from engine oil, that is similiar as well.

In the 50's and before, PS systems just used ATF, in the 60's the demands of PS systems exceeded what ATF could supply, so newer better quality, different spec and properties PS fluid was created to meet the higher demands.

ATF will work in a PS system, but is it meeting the specs and demands of your PS system? Your results will vary, but I think its safe to say that your PS System won't last as long and perform as well with a less than spec fluid that is a near suitable substitute.

Buy PS Fluid and look to see that it says it meets the specs your looking for on the side of the bottle. Chrysler has changed their specs over the years, so look for the specific spec, not just "Compatible with Chrysler Vehicles". It should say something like, "Meets or exceeds Chrysler Spec MS-XXXX".

Most Chyrsler vehicles of that era use Chrysler Spec MS-5931, I think its the spec for the Grand Cherokee, don't know for sure for the XJ. If the WJ and XJ use the same steering system, then its a good guess they use the same fluid.

MS-5931 is the spec for my Neon R/T, I use Red Line Synthetic PS Fluid (it specfically states it exceeds spec MS-5931). Thats a Rack & Pinion System, not sure if the WJ is a Rack&Pinion System, I'd think its recirculating ball like the XJ.

Mopar®P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)

Newer Chrysler Vehicles, like 2002 and newer, use ATF+4 as PS Fluid. I know, I know, I just said ATF should NOT be used in a PS System. But Chrysler ATF+4 is a super high quality spec ATF that exceeds the specs of any ATF before it, made specifically to address all the problems they've had with their 41TE trans (Its Synthetic so it doesn't burn up). Its more a case of ATF/PS Fluid coming full circle, the transmissions have been demanding higher and higher quality fluid, that they've upgraded ATF to the point that it now meets PS fluid standard. Thats for ATF+4 only in the later Chrysler Vehicles designed to use ATF+4 as PS Fluid, that does NOT mean ATF+4 can be used in any PS System, I've even some fools make the logically fallacy jump to assume that since ATF+4 can be used in some PS systems, therefore any ATF can be used in any PS System, WRONG. I think Chrysler has a TSB out specifically warning NOT to retrofit ATF+4 into older PS Systems. As well, there is speculation that ATF+4 is barely adequate a PS Fluid, that its being used as a cost savings measure in the PS Systems and Manual Trans, (its synthetic, so that may be why it holds up in several different applications). Several people have reported that they have replaced the factory fill ATF+4 in there in their PS Systems and Manual Trans with a Synthetic version of the Specific Fluid for that system and got better performance.

Last edited:
It seems that hydrocarbon chemistry has become sophisicated enough to create a universal fluid, but until then, I'll listen to reason and go with a OEM compatible PS fluid.

I doubt it, there are conflicting specs for fluids that additives modify the base stock to meet those specs. So if one fluid has to be modified to allow it to be forced out from between friction surfaces quickly, like automatic transmission clutches, limited slip differentials and manual transmission synchros it will then be far less effective in other applications where its desired that the fluid holds film strength and surface tension and not forced out of bearing clearances and between gear teeth and hold up to severe pressure for heavy duty transmissions or axles or even engines.

Thats my problem with AMSOIL Universal Synthetic ATF, I'm sure its superior quality like all AMSOIL products, I just don't believe the claim that it meets all the specs for fluids that have conflicting specs, thats not possible.

It might be better to say that chemistry will become sophisticated enough to create fluids broad enough that there will only be a dozen or so fluids in use in U.S. cars as oppossed to the 100's to thousands of different fluids that are in use today.

Back