• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Yoke Idea???

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
I was just thinking that I'd like to fix my rear yoke on my 89 xj. SO, What about shimming the inside of the splined part till the yoke sits just outside the seal, and then Drill and tap a bolt into the output shaft. Then, ill get a slip shaft built, or find one with the right u-joints on each end. Any idea what models of vehicles might work for a shaft.
Anyway, what do you experienced fab guys think.
I know, SYE with bigger shaft when i can afford it, but for now...im thinking it may work.

ummmm.....try using the search.......

RE1801.jpg

RE HACK AND TAP, pre 1996

yup. Searched it bud. Im not talking about buying something....im talking about building my own. Talking about using my existing "Slip YOke" and just bolting the thing to the shaft and getting a new driveline. As of now i have no vibrations at highway speeds with my stock slip yoke and 6" of lift.

Last edited:
there is a right way and a cheap way...

one way gets you home -

the other leaves you fawked over on the side of the road and hangs up everyone in your wheeling group while they fix your junk because your stupid ass was to cheap to spend 450 on a BRAND NEW SYE and driveshaft...

Dont be that guy...

Jimminyc said:
yup. Searched it bud. Im not talking about buying something....im talking about building my own. Talking about using my existing "Slip YOke" and just bolting the thing to the shaft and getting a new driveline. As of now i have no vibrations at highway speeds with my stock slip yoke and 6" of lift.

Then why bother with an SYE at all? If you dont want to pay for an SYE, adn dont have a problem with what you have, run what you have. Don't go and break it causing new problems though. :)

-C

I was mostly just curious to find out if anyone has seen this done. Mainly the reason i would do it is to fix my yoke in closer to the t-case which makes things a little stronger. It also would help stop my leaky seal because even after replacing the seal, and bushing, it still leaks some...as most slip yokes do. Im a believer in doing things right the first time also, but im also a believer in being creative to make things work the way you want. I guess i figured im not the first one to think of doing this. I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has done it but maybe the outcome was so catastrophic that anyone who tried it, wouldnt in their right mind admitt to it on a public xj site.

I knew with a title like "Stupid Yoke Idea" there wouldnt be a shortage on smart comments though. I can always depend on my fellow NAXJA people to offer a no bull response to a post. Good Stuff! :)

Last edited:
everyone likes the big shaft ;)

but anyway, as far as making your own, i have a 242 on my daily driver and i hate the slip yoke (yes even for stock suspension) im going to get a 1310 cv yoke out of a ford that is 32 spline, bore it out, press a piece of the stock slip yoke into it, and weld. then pull the output shaft from my tcase, cut it to the correct length, machine it down and cut external threads for a nut on it like the front is

theres a right up on here somewhere, some one has already done it

Timber. Thanks for the link. Thats close, but not the same style tail cone it looks like. Mine is an 89 where the slip yoke actually goes inside the tailcone. For my idea to work, in stead of cutting off some of the yoke, i will actually have to make a simple shim to keep the actual yoke part from hitting the seal when bolted to the shaft. there will still be tons of spline engaugement once i shim it out. right now my U-joint part of the yoke(wish i knew the termonology) sits about 2" outside the case and allows for some play in the splines(hence the leak). With it pushed in as far as possible without hitting the seal there is very little or no play in the splines so i think it will help with my seal problem.
-THis will be similar to the later model install shown in your link with some difference in the way i actaully get the yoke spaced.

Then I believe you want the "Old Man" sye. I have my two month old on my lap, so I can't do the search for you right now.
EDIT: Isn't there some new thing out called a Seal Saver or something like that? It sounds like what you're looking for.

not sure about the seal saver but i would be interested to find out. And yes i have read up on the old man sye. Good writeup, but im thinking even simpler by reusing existing parts instead of changing out the tail cone and so on.

A friend of mine did that on his 96' (external slip yoke), but the idea should work for an internal slip model. Just cut the yoke shorter so it doesn't bottom out, drill the end, and the shaft. Then bolt the yoke to the output shaft. The question I asked my friend was, "how did you get the drive shaft on" and the answer was that he assembled it after the yoke was in place. A PITA in my opinion. However, the SYE was the cost of putting a slip yoke in his existing drive shaft. Was it dependable? Yes it was.

I have held off doing that because I disslike the fact you can't just bolt the driveshaft on the yoke the way the front shaft attaches.

There are a number of options appearing on the site lately, all have merrit, and all are reasonably inexpensive. I was just reading a thread about using a 27 spline yoke and I am not sure if the outside would need to be machined or not as my YJ has a standard slip yoke.

Back