• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5" on '84? Anyone run this...

socratica

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the old xj is going to the shop next monday for the motor rebuild... So I am thinking about what the future suspension mods hold for the old xj. I searched, but I found very little on lifting the old fixed yoke XJ's. It's an '84 2.5, TF904, 4:10 gears, NP229 etc. I know that's not the best offroad ride, but I am not a very hard wheeler. Seeing that it has the same TC as my Grand Wagoneer with 5" lift I am assuming that I can safely go 5" on the chero too? I have 3" poly spacers already installed and an add-a-leaf :(. I am looking at 3" coils, leaving a 2" spacer in, Adjustable track bar, Adjustable LCA, and running a lift shackle in the rear. Does anyone who has more experience see any issues with the driveline from this amount of lift and moderate wheeling? I figure if I did have driveline issues, I could simply use my new 3" coils and add-aleaf and still have improved my suspension with breaking my jeep or me...

Thanks,
E. Rogers

I would say that 5" would be good to run. It just depends on how you drive off road and how much. I would get some control arm drop brackets also. Be careful of the d35 rear axle. I just swapped in an 8.8 because of a couple of axle failures with the d35.
If you plan on keeping the d35 than I would get some shims or a tranfer case drop to help with the angle of the rear driveshaft. Or if you go with the 8.8 swap than just set your pinion angle when you put your spring perches on.
My drivetrain has held up to alot of abuse and is still going strong.
HTH

Kim.

Here is what I used on my 2.8L auto 86'
3" coils W/2" spacers up front. (5")
In the back, 3" AAL W/ Block and 1" shackles. (5")
4.56 gears, Lock Right Front and rear, D35/D30 on 31" MTs.
Stock driveshaft.

I would commonly drive the rig to the trail (4-6hrs), proceed to beat the living crap out of it, then drive it home. No worries.

How much of a lift shackle are you talking. I had the same set up with aal's and a block and completely wore out the springs. If you have the cash I would recomend a lift spring. My .02

afd516 said:
How much of a lift shackle are you talking. I had the same set up with aal's and a block and completely wore out the springs. If you have the cash I would recomend a lift spring. My .02

I agree. If money is an issue than do a search on setting up your own spring pack from some junkyard packs.

Kim.

Back