• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flipping a np 231?

Why?The oil pump wont work!For what purpose?

He probably wants to run Scout, Chevy or older Dodge axles. You'd be better off with a Dana 300 case.

RCP Phx said:
Why?The oil pump wont work!For what purpose?
the np231 doesn't have an oil pump, and i want to do something that i haven't heard of being done so that i can run chevy axles...i don't want to just go buy i t-case...ye of little imagination

slimlaney1 said:
the np231 doesn't have an oil pump

there is a filter and a line from the filter.....I wonder what pulls the fluid through the filter if there is no pump?

slimlaney1 said:
the np231 doesn't have an oil pump

HUH???

What 231 are you looking at? Every one I've had apart has an oil pump with a pickup and screen on the bottom of the case. Look at the case/diagrams again and you'll see that if you flip it you'll burn it up.

Or do it and prove us all wrong if you are that confident that there is no oil pump. (sarcasm is the intent here...)

Good luck...

slimlaney1 said:
has anyone ever heard of flipping a np231 to have the front output on the passenger side???

Don't stop at flipping. Flip it and double it up. Sweet. :thumbup:

the 231 i have taken apart has nothing that you guys are talkin about, it looks like the chain just drags through the oil. there is no pump or filter for that matter...i know the 242 has a pump cuase it has the center differential, but there is no such thing in the 231 unless im a retard (sarcasm intended there). and CRASH thanks for the support man, ill post up the flip and let you all know how well it works.:thumbup:

slimlaney1 said:
but there is no such thing in the 231 unless im a retard (sarcasm intended there).

Sarcasm not necessary.

Holy shit, will you look at that...taken from a JP magazine write-up on a 231 SYE install. This is what yours would look like with the flip done. :D:D:D

154_0505_supr_14_z.jpg

Dude, is that the business end of a mean mullet?

Swwwweeeeeet.

slimlaney1 said:
unless im a retard

Well if you ask a question, folks take the time to provide technically competent answers, and you choose to ignore it or better yet argue the point without hard data to back you, then yes, I guess you are...

Good day to you sir.

CRASH said:
Dude, is that the business end of a mean mullet?

Swwwweeeeeet.
'

you dont even know the 1/2 of it!

this is one step closer to the perfect rig -

someone has to build the lincoln locked 10 bolt front fliped and doubled 231's with uber strong ford 9 rear rig!

ECKSJAY said:
Sarcasm not necessary.

Holy shit, will you look at that...taken from a JP magazine write-up on a 231 SYE install. This is what yours would look like with the flip done. :D:D:D

154_0505_supr_14_z.jpg

preciate the info ECKSJAY, at least there are still some decent jeepers out there that try to help and don't just tell you what you are tryin to do is impossible...oh and non-stick ill let you know how the flipped 231 works:doh:

rw88i0.jpg

The red line is ATF fluid.. with it flipped as ECKSJAY posted there will be no fluid at the end of the tube to be picked up...

Or am I completely wrong also on not being able to flip the 231?

slimlaney1 said:
preciate the info ECKSJAY, at least there are still some decent jeepers out there that try to help and don't just tell you what you are tryin to do is impossible...oh and non-stick ill let you know how the flipped 231 works:doh:

OK, so you do now realize that there IS a fluid pump, correct?

What are your plans for flipping the pump and pick-up? It's doable, but there are easier, bolt-in solutions that offer a lot more in terms of gearing, strength, flexibility, etc.......

Back