• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird fuel leak

villestrip

NAXJA Forum User
SO the last two times i've fueled up I have gone home and parked my jeep. The next morning I started my Jeep with my autostart to warm it up and I have fuel pouring out from the top of the gas tank were the pump mounts to the tank. It will leak probably 3 gallons and then stop and not do it til I fill up again. What is the problem. Is the tank getting filled too much or do I have a bad seal? Thanks

Sounds like the fuel is warmed up by the pump and it's forcing out whatever is too much for the tank. Time for a new tank oring!

The return line may be cracked in that area, or the hose is loose.

My guess if the fuel level is high enogh it resists the flow of the return line and fuel gets forced out.

You'll have to inspect in that area, if you don't see whats wrong, you may have to pull the fuel pump to figure it out.

Maybe it is just an "O" Ring to the fuel pump, running the motor and the fuel pump increases pressure in the tank and forces the gas pass the "O" ring. When the fuel level is lower than the "O" ring, it won't pass the seal, just air pressure instead.

Back