• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff tire question

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a dumb question, and I may have already answered it..
Does a narrower tire put less stress on the axles than a wider one?
The thought being the narrow tire would be less weight/mass.. or is the diameter and resulting torque the real enemy?

I was thinking 35's.. and the difference between a 12.5 and a 10.5..

Thanks..

Weight can be a factor, and how aggressive the tread pattern is. Front locker puts the most stress on the front-end, so a selectable can alleviate this for only the biggest obstacle. However the little skinny pedal on the floor can put the most stress on the front-end. :)

with a 10.5 you need less backspacing on your wheel than a 12.5 to properly run them. The 12.5 will probably also be heavier and you'll want perhaps a wider wheel(more weight) than what you would for your 10.5.
What i'm trying to say is;
The closer you can keep the tires to the axle with the least amount of weight, the easier it is on the shafts and the rest of the diff.

Here's a stupid analogy; when we carry say a sand bag, we carry it close to our bodies because we have more strength. Try moving your arms out away from your body...no way jose, it's just to hard on your body. Same goes for axles.
HTH

hrm..........i am wondering what will put more strain on my locked 30.........bias q78 tsl(35.5x10.5) or a radial claw (35x12.5)

i will prolly end up going with the q78 anyways, and i am fairly certain that the claw doesnt run exactly to size, where as the q78 is on the dot.....and deeper lugs, i just hope i dont break another ring gear.

These two tires are for different things? The Q78 is definately more strain on the D30. The bias ply barely sags at 5 psi. This is a mud tire for biting into the ruts without sidewall deflection. Where as the Claw Radial is a better rock tire to morphing over the rocks.

I am currently running Q's and they are awsome in the woods, but for rocks I think the Radial Claw, or SSR's are a better choice.

really i would have thought the q would be better even on the rocks, better lug design, bias, and skinnier, hrm.

Back