• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS - repair or replace?

dmstumpf

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I would find this in a search, but no luck.

I'm gettting some odd behavior from the AW4 - it seems to jump in and out of lockup (and sometimes hunts between 3rd and 4th gear) when cruising @ 35-45MPH. I'm convinced it is associated with the throttle pedal position. I think it's a bad TPS (just rolled over 180,000 miles on the original TPS unit).

Can this part be disassembled and cleaned? I'm pretty good with electronics, and thought maybe I could go cheap on this job. Or must I replace it outright?

dmstumpf said:
Can this part be disassembled and cleaned? I'm pretty good with electronics, and thought maybe I could go cheap on this job. Or must I replace it outright?

Don't know about repairing it, but you can check voltages etc or borrow a spare good one to plug in to confirm it's the culprit before forking over the dough for a new one. I just picked up a new one a few weeks ago and problems solved (simular issues and milage to your situation).

also check to make sure the T/C switch on the brake pedal is adjusted correctly. That can cause T/C to hunt.

Back