• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What sounds right? Length of rear DS after SYE

winchell182

NAXJA Forum User
K So the tcase with SYE is installed and bolted back up into the cherokee w/4.5" lift, d35.

Now I was trying to measure like the little diagrams show.
I come out to alittle less then 36.5" from the center line of the output on tcase to the center of the ujoint on the rear axel.

Anyone else know what there measurements are? this sound right? around 36"?

Im still debating, just buy a new rear DS, or pull a front ds from a junk yard and get it lengthen for 105$.

Last edited:
What year and is it a 5 speed or auto??If it's an auto chanches are you can use a front shaft from a auto cherokee with out any lengthening.
but if it don't fit.....

I would have one lengthened in the interest of doing it the cheapest...thats what I did.I didn't want to pay 300.00 plus for a custom shaft

on my 89 4.0 5speed w/5.5 inch lift and a d35 I ended up needing a shaft that was 36.5 inches static.I purposely had my shaft made 1/2 inch(37.5" full extend) short because I'll be going to a d44 soon so this way I can use the shaft now on the road and then when I get the 44(which has a longer yoke than the 35) I can use the same shaft, however I don't reccommend doing this because you run the risk of having the ds fall apart!!!.

One thing to keep in mind on your measurements above is to factor in the difference of the slip yoke...which usually on these front shafts is 3 inches.

so you would want a shaft around 38 inches fully extended measured from center of u joint to center of u joint that would put the slip yoke at mid travel while the vehicle is sitting level.

Last edited:
Back