• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 pan removal

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
Dumb question but I don't want to break anything and it is dripping ATF on me under there!!
Does the connector tube from the pan for the dip stick just pull down from the down tube? It looks like a sort of press fit but pulling the pan down (gently) didn't get any results.

It can be sticky. Last time I changed the filter on my `88 was more than likely the first time it had been done. @ 198,000 mile at the time. or at least o long time prior to that. I also had the filter replaced at Burnsville off-road on a `96 and they had a hard time getting the tube separated. It will come off you just need to be paitient and not force it. I used a gasket on the `88 and crushed it . It did'nt leak at first and drove it home from a buddies house around 12 miles. The next morning I looked out the window and there was a 5' puddle under the `88. Dropped the pan and used rtv.

I just pulled my pan off this morning and it was a pain in the butt to get the tube seperated. I took out all the bolts,pryed the pan loose and let the front of the pan down first. Then i just jiggled the crap out of the pan until it seperated.

If you're just replacing the filter and gasket, it IS possible to do it without separating the tube. I know it's possible because I couldn't get mine separated. :) There's not much room to work with, but it can be done.

Thanks guys,
I'm also doing the solenoids so it has to come off. It is an oily mess and I want to clean it all up and see if I can get it to stop leaking. I will get "RTV", does that stand for something or is that the "name" of it?

Yes, that is a helpful article. There seems to be a debate...sealant vs just gasket. I have always used sealant between the gasket and pan but none against the trans. My purpose was mostly to hold the gasket in place for replacement on the trans. Other opinions? I will give these methods a try today; I sure hate working under cars with dripping oil!!

RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing - it's a sort of silicone/rubber that is a paste at room temperature, and cures in the presence of oxygen without needing to be heated. There are several different "grades" (identified by colour,) don't bother with the blue stuff. Black works well on low-temperature stuff like this.

It's possible to unbolt the dipstick tube from the side of the engine block, and just lower the whole tube and pan as well. I've done it that way before.

VERY LIGHT torque on the pan bolts - I think it's down around 5-7 pound-feet! Better to go a little too loose and tighten it up, than go too tight and crush the gasket. Don't ask how I know...

I have found that a light coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket will help to hold the thing in place, and to help seal it.

5-90

5-90 said:

It's possible to unbolt the dipstick tube from the side of the engine block, and just lower the whole tube and pan as well. I've done it that way before.

VERY LIGHT torque on the pan bolts - I think it's down around 5-7 pound-feet! Better to go a little too loose and tighten it up, than go too tight and crush the gasket. Don't ask how I know...

I have found that a light coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket will help to hold the thing in place, and to help seal it.

5-90

Ditto.....

I would definitely separate the dipstick tube. It's easier to do it from the engine compartment to begin with, by removing the bolt and working it loose. If you don't, and try to install the pan with the top part in place, chances are it'll bend. This happened to me and caused extra work.

Also wipe a dab of antiseize on the tube joint/O-ring, it'll make the job easier next time.

5-90r said:
5-90

Oil pan bolts 4.4 - 5.8 ftlbs. Stripped one myself and retapped the hole for a 1/4-20 bolt as I recall. Do watch out that some RTV and Silicones dissolve in ATF. The pan isn't under pressure, so the gasket should be adequate.

Back