• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor Board HELP

gmcelroy

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled the carpets on my 93 Cherokee and I have some pretty big holes in my floor boards that I was not aware of (until now) as well as lots of rust.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while and will be moving out of state. Therefore, I am thinking that I should have the floor boards replaced as opposed to patched. I do not want to have any inspection problems when I try to register it.

Since I'm not a welder I do not feel comfortable tackling this job. How much am I looking at to have the old floors cut out and have new panels installed?

Any thoughts on how to proceed.

Thanks much

I've got the same problem. I am planning on patch with rivets (not hard),after I patch the hole I am going to coat the whole floorboard with herculiner. Waterproof! Sound deadening! (Good for stereo sound too)

POR-15 is more like paint. A rust converter, IIRC.

There's a link on here someplace for stamped floor panel replacements.

POR15 would be good for where rust is but holes arent. You can get a rivet gun very cheap and sheet metal at your local hardware store. I did this and bought some undercar spray coating cheap.

Theres a thread here somewhere about replacing the floorboards. Not cheap to have someone else do all the work but if your willing to cut yours out and do the prep work yourself so all you have to pay for is the welding itself you could save a bunch. Theres some time involved in the prep work alone.

Good luck!

Ken

Even if you elect to pop rivet in patches, you still need to cut out the old rusted metal. It will continue to rust under the patchs, until its past the patches and you just have to do the job all over again with bigger holes.

This is a labor intensive job, so having a professional do the job is going to be very expensive.

Are you talking about patching several holes or cutting out both entire floorboards and replacing them with new?

87manche, there are no pictures for the patches offered in that link, from the description of the parts on that site, they look to be a pre-formed patch panel to fit into the existing floor. I'd consider something like this for my repair, but it would obviously have to fit over where my existing holes are, anymore links that would clue me in better?

I've got several small holes in several spots (from 1/4" round to 2"X2" to 4"X9" in a flat area) that can be easily patched with a quick piece of snipped sheet metal, I've got 1 big hole (18"X12") up in the passenger side footwell that goes up the transmission hump an inch or so. Then a lot of rot at the back of the mounting for the front seats, each has a larger hole (6"X8") with several smaller holes nearby, so a panel that fit over the entire area, that lets me cut out the entire area would be nice.

Last edited:
what you see is what you get. Maybe you could call an ask for pictures. They also sell them on ebay, and I've seen pictures there.

Back