• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some steering Qs (tera knuckle, track bar mount)

jslamerman

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I got some cool new parts from a board member, and I am trying to determine what the best combination of parts to use is. I purchased a used set of knuckles, 1 Tera knuckle, uses big tie rod ends, the upper is tapped top to bottom, and the tie rod mounts from the bottom, like stock. I dont like the location of the tie rod, but its already reamed for the bigger ends, so Im going to use it this way. What concerns me, after installing the knuckles and mocking them up, is this is an old style Tera knuckle. It has an extremely large steering arm, and from what Ive read, in order to have full truning radius, Ill need a waggy pitman arm. This would put my draglink at a decent angle, but Im afraid with only 7" lift, on pass side tire compression, Id smash my oil pan (waggy arms are flat, and long). I could do a dropped waggy arm, but its going to get tight, and Id have a damn flat drag link, making a complicated fab job for a track bar mount (instead of a pre fab one like the JKs version). Are there any big taper tie rod ends with a "curve" to them?? I think by using at least one on the pitman arm side, I may drop the drag link enough to avoid oil pan damage (bump stops too)?? Any ideas?? Ill post pics tommorrow.

Last edited:
I think its too small a taper for whats already there??? Im going to have to measure, and see. I thought these were tapped for 7/8s 1 ton taper stuff?? (Now that I look, its got the same taper, different, smaller shank) Id have to ream a pitman arm top to bottom to get the full effect of the pitman arm dogleg. I thought I saw one on the JKS websight with a dogleg in it (on the WJ knuckle page?) maybe it would have the reverse direction, so I could use it on the pitman side. Now to find out how much angle these will take..............(for flex)

This one???
jks955.jpg

Last edited:
In addition, what do you guy think of actually "raising" the track bar mount a bit at the frame(I can remove the stock one, get a buddy to weld the JKS bracket on, but not before I trim the mount to make it shorter), in order to facilitate using the JKS bracket, to match track bar/drag link angles??

Back