• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leafs? shackles?

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
97 4.0 5pd manual

I'm about to go to about ~5.5-6" of lift and im not too sure what I should do about the leafs. Right now I have a 4" AAL lift so no matter what I want to toss my leafs. My options for replacement are, but are not limited to:

Rustys rear 4.5" leafs + 1.5" shackle

RE 5.5" leafs no shackle

RE leafs are a bit more pricey then Rustys, but I dont mind shelling out the dough if it will be worth it. There is a chance down the road I will want to go bigger, but I can't see that happening for quite a while. I know you get more flex with a flatter leaf pack which would point to the Rustys combo. As far as shackles, any recommendations? Are there any other solutions that would work better? I live in New England and primarially do a mud/rock combo, so its not a crawler but i do want flex.

Also, how much lift can I expect from each leaf setup respectively when first installed and after they settle?

thanks

RE 5.5" leafs...hands down

you can expect with the RE 6-6.5"

with the Rustys, I am not sure they sit bigger too. If you do go Rustys and you only want 5.5-6 or lift, might want to go with a smaller shackle.

will the sagging effect my pinion angle a significant amount after i put on my SYE and get a new DS? if so, is it correctable with a different shim angle?

Well I would think not if you set your pinion angle up properly. Most leafs have the proper adjustment with shims in them.

anyone else want to give him advice based on experience.

I am not there yet..lol

I would go with a slightly smaller leaf and then add a shackle. I'm running RE 4.5" with their new 1.5" shackle and have plenty of lift for 35's, but I figure my perch height is slightly higher than stock.

Greg

I run 5.5" in the rear, 1.5 from shackle and 4" from the leaves. I built a bastard pack using the stock XJ main with cut down and tapered Bronco II leaves (thin and highly arched). Originally I used modified Dakota leaves but they were too thick, too stiff and didnt articulate as well as I wanted. I cant comment on the after market spring packs but I am very happy with the longer greasable shackle and highly reccomend it. It allows you to run a softer highly arched (off the jeep) pack that sits flatter at ride height so you get a lot of droop travel. Building, rebuilding and adjusting leaf packs isnt for everone but you end up with exactly what you want and you can add lift, stiffen or soften as your needs change without spending a lot of money.

Whatever you do I reccomemd using a longer shackle. Just get a good one, mine is 1/4" thick and has a full length web between the sides. Floppy shackles are a very bad thing.

John

Back