• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New car like wipers?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for any mods I can do to my 89 xj's wiper system to get them to perform better.Are there any motor upgrades out there to make them more powerful?
I've got new blades and rain-ex on.....but,
If it's barely raining out the blades like to act in a jerky motion and the highest speed is barley good enough.

and whats the deal with the pass side blade not parking at the same heighth as the driver side if the windshield is not completely soaked...aka if you hit the wipers on a dry winshield???I've noticed this on alot of older cherokee's....

Dunno. I change my blades every six months (at minimum!) and put Turtle Wax on the windscreen. Haven't had any trouble - either with Silicon Valley "rain lite" or with Southwestern thunderstorms (I drive across the country a lot.)

You may want to make sure you're parking properly, but I've had better luck using Turtle Wax (or other hard carnauba paste wax) on the winscreen, and I save the Rain-X for my paintball goggles.

5-90

I have the same situation with my 89 and do wish that the drivers side would clean the windshield closer to the A pillar as it stops approx.~ 3½" from it with them parking 1" above the lower molding. There must be a linkage design that causes this....

pull the cover off just below the wiper and look at the linkage and fasteners make sure there all tight and nothing is broken. i have seen many wiper linkage systems in xj's fail or get very worn out.

x2
the parking issue with mine was because the plastic bushings were worn out on mine. I replaced all the bushings, and it's like brand new.
As far as the power problem, check the connections under the dash at the wiper delay module, and check all the grounds.

Thanks guys.It looks like those bushings are my prob.I'll go get some tommorrow.
Now if I can only find a belt long enough to run that washing machine motor..........lol

outlander said:
Thanks guys.It looks like those bushings are my prob.I'll go get some tommorrow.
Now if I can only find a belt long enough to run that washing machine motor..........lol
How did it work out? Did the bushings fix the skipping/jerking issue?

where did you get the bushings at mine are getting kinda jerky motion, but rainx alone at highway speeds cleans the windshield enough i hardly need wipers.
The fact they dont rest even or low as they used does get on my nerves.

Can i get the bushings at napa, autozone etc ?

Back