• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are my brakes?

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I installed new calipers and Wrangler brake lines on the front and now I can't them to bleed out. I accidently bled the MC dry but now I've pumped over a quart of brake fluid through them and the pedal still just drops to the floor. Would draining the front reservoir let air get into the rear system?

maybe through the proportioning valve?
A full bleed should be this order
passenger rear
driver rear
passenger front
driver front
Give that a shot.
How are you bleeding them? into a jar? two people?
Vacuum bleeding has worked wonders for me in the past.

You might just try filling the master, open the bleeders, and let gravity do its job. Just keep the master full, and DO NOT pump the pedal.Are these abs brakes? if so, there might be a special proceedure for those. Good luck

In some cases after having emptied the master cylinder it's faster to pull the line and reverse bleed the master. Force fluid back into it until stops bubbling. There also kits to allow you to bleed the entire system this way. Considering air rises not a bad idea.

Sarge

87manche said:
maybe through the proportioning valve?
A full bleed should be this order
passenger rear
driver rear
passenger front
driver front
Give that a shot.
How are you bleeding them? into a jar? two people?
Vacuum bleeding has worked wonders for me in the past.
Yeah. I love my vacuum bleeder.
You wanna use it?

Kyung

Kyung

Thanks for the offer, but I may have found the problem. Anyone have a picture of an installed caliper? (I may still take you up on your bleeder offer)

I have a pressure bleeder and should have a cap that fits your m/c, if you want, I can bring it over.

Are the bleed screws on top of the caliper? I can't remember if you can even mount the stock calipers upside down.

jonboy said:
I have a pressure bleeder and should have a cap that fits your m/c, if you want, I can bring it over.

Are the bleed screws on top of the caliper? I can't remember if you can even mount the stock calipers upside down.

Let me know about the bleeder. And yeah like jonboy said, did you put the calipers on the wrong side?:)

Kyung

RickyN29 said:
Yeah, the bleeder screw should be on top right? I just installed new calipers myself and they had no designation of left or right.
yes, bleeder needs to be at the top.

I have seen several XJs where people got the inner brake pad cocked a bit and they couldn't engage the brake because the pad was binding on the bracket. Mushy pedal due to the "springboard" effect of the metal pad with very poor braking ability.

Back