• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solenoid Problem?

GrayT

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I started to lose my 2nd gear. Not knowing exactly what it was at first, I replaced my TPS. Didn't do anything to fix the problem.

Then I scanned my codes and it said it was Solenoid No. 3.

I replaced all the solenoids with used ones (the seller said he checked all of them with an ohmeter) but they appeared to be from a different year AW4. The connectors were flipped around so I couldn't use the new solenoid for number 2 (the solenoid closest to the hatch)

I got it back on the road, and it ran good, until all of the sudden second gear down shifted to first and would not upshift again until I let it cool down.

What else could be the problem?

Glad to hear they finally arrived! I wasn't aware that the solenoids changed between years. The few times I looked up the part number for someone else, it never specified the year.

-Chris

Solenoid No. 3. is the controls the torque converter lock up. If Solenoid No. 2 is bad you will only have reverse, first and fourth.

If you want to recheck them, The factory spec is between 11 and 15 ohms.

Last edited:
lawsoncl said:
Glad to hear they finally arrived! I wasn't aware that the solenoids changed between years. The few times I looked up the part number for someone else, it never specified the year.

-Chris

I don't think it should have mattered really. The solenoids looked completely different, but it's a solenoid... just depends on where you put them. So I reused my old No.2 solenoid thinking my problem would still be cured considering the code checker said it was the 3rd one messing up.

scoobyxj said:
Solenoid No. 3. is the controls the torque converter lock up. If Solenoid No. 2 is bad you will only have reverse, first and fourth.

If you want to recheck them, The factory spec is between 11 and 15 ohms.

I will recheck them, but I'm just going to the local Jeep junkyard and picking up some more. If, per say, this time around with the junkyard solenoids doesn't cure my problem. Then what else could this be contributed too? Why does the problem only exist when I drive it for more than 5 minutes?

Back