• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo vs. Internal Roll cage

McDonnie91

NAXJA Forum User
ive been wanting to get a roll cage for my xj im not shure weather i should go with a internal roll cage or and external cage. what are the pro's/cons of each and which is cheepest im on a very tight budget.

My understanding of the best possible situation is a combination of both... inner and exo tied to eachother...

the never end debate..........

externals are nice because, theorically, if you roll the body will still be intact. i think the difficulty lies in the fact that you really have to tie the cage into the body in enough places to get the strength. cost is usually a bit more than in internal, a lot more tubes.

internals are realitively inexpensive. if you roll you'll be okay but the body is probably f'd.

best case would be an exocage tied into and nice internal.

from all i have seen an exo cage turns you into an bowling ball you just keep rolling as were in internal cage you maybe go a full roll, but it all depends on if you want a pretty body or not.

its illegal to drive with a smashed/caved in windshield, and some people want to still be able to put doors on and have them open and close properly after they flop it it or roll. with an interior cage say good bye to those things in a real hard role, youd laugh if you had a exo/interior cage and then still drive home with a tow rig and trailer.

88rockxj said:
its illegal to drive with a smashed/caved in windshield, and some people want to still be able to put doors on and have them open and close properly after they flop it it or roll. with an interior cage say good bye to those things in a real hard role, youd laugh if you had a exo/interior cage and then still drive home with a tow rig and trailer.
thats a good point but if it's done right that won't happen, maybe a break or two but not shattered.

jmaxj said:
thats a good point but if it's done right that won't happen, maybe a break or two but not shattered.

i completely disagree, the window frame and and the windshield are much more likely to be destroyed no matter how you build your interior cage. the frame will get tweaked and smashed which will require bodyy work to install a new windshield and the windshield will spider web more then likely. somone that wants to have a street legal rig and still be able to flop it on the weekends theres nothing better then an exo , i could care less about dents and dings but i want the function to still be there.

Last edited:
88rockxj said:
i completely disagree, the window frame and and the windshield are much more likely to be destroyed no matter how you build your interior cage. the frame will get tweaked and smashed which will require bodyy work to install a new windshield and the windshield will spider web more then likely. somone that wants to have a street legal rig and still be able to flop it on the weekends theres nothing better then an exo , i could care less about dents and dings but i want the function to still be there.
if you build your interior cage to far away from you pillars(wich i've also seen done) then yeah windows will break as the pillars fold around the cage like i said before if it's done right you won't have that problem like i have also seen before.

For me its the size of the driver. I rather have an interior, but I'll eventually go exo w/ partial interior becaue I am 6'4" and 280lbs. I hvae zero headroom as it is.

search around for pics of goatman's rig he has a very nice setup that keeps looks in mind as well. i also realy like the way crash has his tied in to the body/frame.

Back