• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker panel help....

MaxxTraxx

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at buying a 93 4dr XJ form a fellow club member (dfw-tx4wd.org) The jeep was lifted, but has been returned to stock suspension. I belive all that it has on it now is a small coil spacer, it is slightly taller than a stock XJ. Anyways, both rocker panels have cancer, is it possible to cut the rocker panels out and re- weld new panels in? Or, do rock sliders cover/replace the rocker panels? Open to all ideas/opinions/etc. Looking for the cheapest route here....but it needs to be a safe, lasting repair.

Sliders/Rock rails usually bolt to the pinch rail, and no, don't cover the rockers, but protect the rockers.

I have seen folks replace the rockers entirely with square tubing so that they don't loose clearance becuase of the rock rails. There is a Tech article on MADXJ.com about that.

You can also replace the rockers. I believe patch panels are available from a number of vendors. You can start at JCwhitney. IIRC they started selling Cherokee patch panels a year or two ago.

Ron

JC Whitney sells complete replacement rocker panels. They aren't the same gauge as the originals, but the originals are HEAVY gauge metal. Whitney's replacements are correctly profiled and can either be installed over the existing ones and pop riveted in place, or you can do it right and cut out the old ones, then have the new ones welded in.

I've replaced rockers on my old 87 (RIP) It wasn't that difficult. it just takes some time. I bought my new rockers from the Chrysler dealer and paid $53 Canadian for each. They fit perfectly and looked great. They outlasted the vehicle. It's worth the time and effort. Lots of drilling out spot welds and a lot of chiselling. You have to loosen the front fenders at the bottom to gain access to the front of the rockers. This isn't a one day project so be prepared to loose the use of your vehicle untill its done!

Somewhere on this board is a german site that did a rocker replacment with some pretty hefty steel, step by step pics too. I though it was very nicely done and actually liked the look more than stock with bolt on sliders...I also think he made air tanks out of them but I'm not sure, about 3 years ago as I remember.

Do a search here. There has been a few write ups on the home made sliders. they look really nice and give extra clearance. They might cost a little more but you dont have to buy sliders so you end up saving in the long run. I bought 12 ft of 2x6x3/16 for $90. I will be working on them in a few weeks. Check out madxj, I think he is the one that had a writeup but I am not positive.

that looks cool. So, by replacing the rocker panel with the square steel, it can also act as a slider correct? I have some pics, i'll try to get em up and post or link em for ya'll to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

Back