• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ ECM, PCM, PCU, whatever you want to call it

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
long story short I short circuited my o2 sensor checking it, and it blew the whole ground circuit :gonnablow so my jeep is resting in peace:angel:

I need your help finding a new one, soo if any of you know where to get one, or actually have one please let me know!

Part #'s

or

I was in my driveway on thurs checking my o2 sensor, and everything was fine and dandy. I put the checker back on the wires and I think that I probed two wires at once, and all of a sudden the engine shut off. Everything would work, it would even turn over but not start.

So I had my dad pull my XJ to the shop and they checked it out yesterday. They put the diagnostic crap on it all the sensors were giving wierd readings. So they went deeper and I guess they found out that the ground circuit is fried.

I don't know the whole story, so If some of this is wrong, im sorry.

Last edited:
I fried a PCM in my '99 Neon R/T. I was 300 miles from home and one of the fuel injector circuits shorted out. It kept blowing the fuse for the Fuel Pump/PCM and I kept replacing it, trying to get home. Finally, it would blow the fuse as soon as I put a new one in. In desperation, I put in a bigger than spec fuse and it held together to get me home, BUT, It fried the PCM doing that. After I fixed the short and everything was working right, it still ran like crap because the driver in the PCM for the shorted fuel injector was fried, I had to get a new PCM.

Theres a good reason why your not suppossed to be put bigger than spec fuses in the fuse box.

5-90 said:
It should be fairly easy to find at a parts house - since they used the ChryCo SBEC (Single Board Engine Controller) post-1990.

I'm not sure what else would work - I haven't had occasion to check. However, be glad you're not RENIX...

5-90

Hey 5-90,

What did you mean by "be glad you're not RENIX"? That a RENIX ECU is hard to find or a ChryCo SBEC ECU is better?

Thx, Phil

Y'ask me, the RENIX system is easier to work with, and I prefer it.

However, finding a RENIX ECU is just this side of guiding tours in Hell. Fortunately, I've only heard of two that have failed - and I've got one of them. Both of them had cooked injector drivers - and I got the one that I did (from South Africa!) so I could see what needed to happen to replace them - just in case...

I honestly don't think the SBEC is as adaptable or as robust as the RENIX system - I don't know who builds ChryCo's electronics, but RENIX was made by Bendix/King aviation under contract to Renault - and Bendix/King makes ROCK SOLID gear... I used to make about $300 for an hour's work on compact 2.2L Turbos - they had a bad habit of blowing SBEC's for a while...)

5-90

Back