• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question re: Home Brew Budget 2" lift?(help)

klonestar

NAXJA Forum User
Im having new AAL rear leafs made locally (actually having complete new leaf set made) and was checking out the home brew site. Think I will have the AAL itself made to length as in said article (full length located just under long main spring) which should give me about a 2" lift in rear. A little later I will finish the front lift per the same article.

Any cons to this and can I run the front end 2" lower for a couple of weeks?

Thanks,
Ken

12GaugeXJ said:
Yes.

You may get some vibes. Not totally sure you would though.
Thanks! As cash dictates (lack of) thats what im gonna do!

Just got the Jeep which was dearly neglected as a stocker. At least once I do get it on the road it will start with a 2" lift. (and oh such a long ways to go)

After little lift is complete im adding sensa trac shocks then will start working on minimal equipment needed to participate in NAXJA events.

Thanks again,
Ken

i drove mine with 2"lift in the rear and stock frt. for 9 months with no problem.

robz95xj said:
i drove mine with 2"lift in the rear and stock frt. for 9 months with no problem.
Cool! I didnt think it should be an issue but you never know! Soon as I can locate some 98' front coils and some spacers (of some sort) I will finish the front end.

Thanks again,
Ken

88'XJ said:
why not wait and do a 2" bb that comes with shocks...i wish i had

The answer is: $

Im getting the leafs made because I can have it done this way a little cheaper than buying new ones, +shipping, and installing. There just happens to be a local spring maker near me. For 40 bucks over stock leaf price he will do the AAL the way I want it thus giving me a 2" lift on the rear. Its a three man crew. They make em and install em while you have a cup of coffee.

So I figure since im half way there I might as well do the front on the cheap too to catch up to the rear in lift. This will likely be the only mod (other than adding safety necessities per NAXJA policy) this Jeep will get until I start to build it better than stock which may not be for a while. I just put new stock shocks on all fours to get it inspected (amother many other things) and I do plan on adding better shocks in the not to far away future.

When I get ready to spend good money on a lift I do not plan on it being a 2" one. I hope to start with a 5"-6" and build up my parts in the mean time.

Id be really interested in your situation. What you did and why you wish otherwise? Im always open to changing course for a good reason but right now cash (or lack of) is behind my present reasoning.

The home brew lift sounds good to me right now and claims it may handle a little better than stock. I can do it for short money right now or wait till I dont know when, to lift anything. All I will need after the rear leafs are done are 2 spacers, 2 coil springs and 4 shocks. Have you read the Home Brew Budget Lift article?

Thanks,
Ken

Back