• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring and track bar advice please?

metalxj_00

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, mostly stock 90k MI
It has new hubs, Axle U-joints and Bilstein shocks within the last month.

I'm pretty sure I need a new coil spring on the drivers side, because the perch is hitting the bump stop on the bigger bumps. I called the dealer for parts info and apparently they are not produced, or stocked anywhere. Awesome, I mean not that they would be afforable or anything, but that's not convincing news. They used my VIN to tell me that I needed ZUK and ZRK springs on the right and left side respectively. My build sheets are telling me that the coils are ZUJP and ZFKP right and left respectively.
- Does "ZUK" or "ZUJP" mean anything to anyone?
- Should I replace both coils, or is it ok to do just one?
- Will I be ok with any spring that is supposed to fit an XJ?
- Up Country?

Track bar has maybe 1/8" to 1/4" of play in the ball joint?
Can anyone recommend a good replacement source?

Much thanks in advance and happy Patty's day.
-Kev

I don't know what the codes mean, but the ZUK is listed. Any XJ spring will work unless you have the Up Country package, then you'll want HD. If you are looking for stock springs, you might check here http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=52001122

And yes, replace both.

The track bar needs replaced. If you're looking for stock, same above reference. They also handle after market parts that can improve on factory.

You should replace both springs. They both are probably sagging. Also, you should replace your track bar. Check Rubicon Express to see if they have stock height springs. Go aftermarket as they will be cheaper. Track bars can be found at any parts store. Get one with a lifetime warrenty. If you're going to replace the springs, why not just start working on getting alift kit? Just a thought.

OK, I'm newbie to this 4X4 and Off-Road stuff, street cars springs last more than the life of the car, you can get them out of junkers and they work just as well as new ones. Only exception I've seen is some muscle cars with leaf-springs, they'll chew up their leaf springs and need new ones on occassion.

Why do I see so many posts about needing new springs on the XJ?

Is this a case of off-roading being so hard on springs it ruins them?

I figured I had to do both... and the track bar.
I'd like to lift a little so this is tricky for me. Realistically, I barely have a driveway, help and time are hard to find and it's my DD, so probably not. I hear ya though. I can do some stuff on my own, but this time of year I'm usually taking it to a garage, and lately I've been giving them way to much money.
On the track bar, I don't know what the difference is but when they all stop at 98, I figure something's up? The dealer wants 160 something for a track bar.
Napa has a Federal Mogul piece for $110!!! I see all other years for less than $60
If my springs fail after 6 years/90k, do I really want something cheaper?
www.espo.com
They had nothing listed under 97+.
NAPA told me to see the dealer... huh
I'm a little concerned when I see a bunch of springs for certain years only and then some others for the entire XJ spectrum. What's the deal?

Rick,
In my case, I suspect that I had a bad shock that I didn't realize was so far gone. DS bumpstop would occiasionally hit the perch on larger bumps... I now have new shocks and I'm still getting the contact, so I'm pretty sure the spring is shot. I think it's more common for the rear leafs to have sagging problems in the XJ's. I take responsibility for my situation.

A couple of things in no particular order;

Back when I worked on Buicks the R/F spring was heavier compensating for the torque of the engine and there was also a difference in springs if the car had A/C. That's probably why Chrysler lists two P/Ns on your build sheet. I don't understand why aftermarket springs are not left or right.

Since you are going to change the frt springs why not look at the 2" OME. The ride quality is reported to be better than stock. It is a bit more pricey than the costs of coils you listed in your post though and there will be the hidden costs of a SYE. If your rears also happened to be stressed might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Understand driveway work, but if it is a straight install can be done in a minimum of time. Invest in burgers and beer and invite some NAXJA folks over to help.

Rick, welcome to the world of 4x4. Leaf springs all sag after a period. I have had two Suburbans & one K20 truck that have had the leaves flatten out that I replaced with custom springs from Betts and my 2000 XJ is looking that way now.

Tom

Boatwrench said:
Rick, welcome to the world of 4x4. Leaf springs all sag after a period. I have had two Suburbans & one K20 truck that have had the leaves flatten out that I replaced with custom springs from Betts and my 2000 XJ is looking that way now.
Actually my XJ is a 2WD that I'm fixing up for my Daughter to drive, the rear leafs (altough the bushings and interleaf plastic plates look rather tired) the rear leafs have great ride height and since it won't be doing much off-road I'm sure the leafs will last a while longer.

I'm just curious why the leafs go on 4X4, I'm guessing the combination of torque and severe duty during off road, arches them into "S"'s and arches them far enough, fast enough and frequently enough, that it pushes past to the yield point and they sag.

Back