• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Rebuild: Do I need a Press?

'89 Xj 4.0L AW4, NP231, 250K miles

Gonna put in the POR SYE next week. Noticed a fair amount of slop in the front outputshaft, so I'm planning on replacing chain as well. Should I spend the extra $100 to get a complete seal and bearing kit? If so, will I need a shop press? Nothing appears to be leaking....

What would you do?

By the way, this is part of a complete vehicle buildup with new engine, lift, etc.

I don't know if you need a press or not ... someone else on this forum did his 231 a few weeks ago, and he didn't mention using a press.

In general, I think you should replace all bearings and seals while you are in there. It will cost extra, and take more time, but it will be worth it in the long run.

If you are doing this as a build-up project, do it thoroughly. That's just my approach to things. Other people take the approach of running it until it dies, then swapping it with another used one. That also seems to work well.

montanaman said:
I don't know if you need a press or not ... someone else on this forum did his 231 a few weeks ago, and he didn't mention using a press.

In general, I think you should replace all bearings and seals while you are in there. It will cost extra, and take more time, but it will be worth it in the long run.

If you are doing this as a build-up project, do it thoroughly. That's just my approach to things. Other people take the approach of running it until it dies, then swapping it with another used one. That also seems to work well.

My feelings as well, hence the complete rebuild of the engine, removal and cleanup of the tranny, not to mention ditching the ProComp lift with 2" pucks.

At least the interior and body were clean ;-).

I just didn't want to go overboard

yes, you will need some of the bearings to be put in with a press, and taken out with a puller. Some shops will do it for pretty cheap. i think there is 3 or 4 bearings that need to be pressed. Take the case apart and see how they look and make your decision then based on time and money realizing that you can get a used case for pretty cheap. Personally i think a reasonably well maintained tcase will outlast your motor and tranny unless your really abusive to your jeep.

javik said:
yes, you will need some of the bearings to be put in with a press, and taken out with a puller. Some shops will do it for pretty cheap. i think there is 3 or 4 bearings that need to be pressed. Take the case apart and see how they look and make your decision then based on time and money realizing that you can get a used case for pretty cheap. Personally i think a reasonably well maintained tcase will outlast your motor and tranny unless your really abusive to your jeep.

Yep, kinda what I decided to do. Will replace seals and chain when I do SYE and call it done.

Back