• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes don't work after d44/ 9" swap

Lonestar

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did the full width d44/ 9" swap on my 87, since then I am not getting any braking from the rear drums. Everything in the rear was rebuilt when I did the swap (drums, shoes, wheel cyl, and all hardware). The front discs were rebuilt also but I swapped to chev knuckles and caliper and kept the ford 5.5 hub/ rotor. The master cylinder and booster are stock but was replaced before I did the swap and the proportioning valve has never been changed.

With that said, does the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve need to be replaced with a ford or chev unit or are the stock ones ok to use. I've already doubled and triple check the adjustment and when I bleed the rear there seems to be pressure. Has anyone ran into this problem? I've been messing with it for a while now and am all out of ideas, so if anyone has any please chime in. Thanks

Bryan

no, its got nothing to do with your master or booster, i have massive calipers up front, and the ones you have up front, on my rear 60 with the stock master and booster and i can lock up all 4 by breathing on the brake pedal

your best bet would be to pull it all apart, and see if the wheel cylinders are working first, also make sure the fronts are bleed completly, air in the fronts will affect the rear....

I know you said you checked the adjustment, I'm guessing @ the proportioning valve, but have you adjusted the brake shoes? May be a simple?, but they may be actuating, just not in adjustment where they touch the drums. Also check to see if the adjuster is working.

Rob

I just finished this swap a couple weeks ago. Make sure the drums are adjusted properly and you have bled all the air out of the system. I can lock up 35's just fine.

Back